Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7 too much white background bothersome?

AM I the only one who is having massive eyestrain when using my iphone?? Its as if the reverted to Windows 98 or black and white TV. The white background in the music, settings, photos, texting, notepad, calendar and the keyboard is AWFUL. I love the keyboard when you unlock phone then it goes to this bright white and gray. It is a good thing they put in the control panel since I am having constantly adjust the brightness. I really miss the cool silvers and blues in the old system. Was very gentle on the eyes and easier to read. Im finding myself using my ipod (which is not upgraded to ios 7) when at home more and more for this very reason. I feel like I walked on to the set of the old THX movie. blah!! Im blinded 😟

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 3:02 PM

19 replies

Nov 15, 2013 3:15 PM in response to Miss Apryl

If you're having to constantly adjust the brightness, if it doesn't stay where you put it, something's wrong. Turn off autobrightness and turn the brightness down to where it's comfortable. If it doesn't stay where you left it, try resetting your phone by holding the power and Home buttons until the silver Apple appears.

You may also want to explre the options in Settings>General>Accessibility, especaily the contrast switch.

Best of luck.

Nov 15, 2013 3:30 PM in response to ckuan

That does not change anything but the homepage... that does nothing for the parts of the system that I mentioned in my post. I understand what you are referring to but I think you misunderstand what Im talking about. Im talking about all the blinding white throughout the system... refer to my original post. Take the music player as just one example.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 15, 2013 3:41 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have my auto brightness set but it does nothing for the overwhelming amount of white space built into this system. At night laying in bed while trying to use phone I still have to go in manuelly turn it almost all the way down because the auto brightness cannot correct the AMOUNT of white. I think my issue is an asthetic one, but I also feel it causes eystrain. Its a real bummer they made everything so bland and basically washed out.

And yes I changed the contrast but this does nothing for specifically what Im referring too. Thank you for your help though

Message was edited by: Miss Apryl

Dec 17, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Miss Apryl

I completely agree!

For example the alarm app, the actual alarm app at three in the morning if it goes off and you check it you open the iPad and your blinded with this blight bright white screen which, when your eyes are closed and it's a dark room and you're trying to sleep, is the most jarring unfriendly experience. I can't believe Apple would give you something that is bright white for an alarm clock for gods sake at least let it have an option to be black with white characters. Yes I have a dark wallpaper and yes I've explored accessibility and by the way I keep my brightness permanently on the absolute lowest level it will go and I can still use the iPad as a flashlight to find my way to the bathroom.

Mar 9, 2014 5:01 PM in response to Miss Apryl

Functinoality-wise, I think iOS7 is very good, but I hate the white background in so many Apple native apps (e.g. calendar, email, iTunes radio, etc). It's not eyestrain I'm complaining about here, but the actual visual appeal. White backgrounds have always just looked so unprofessional to me, and Apple just made iOS7 a textbook example. It's not a piece of paper we're looking at so why lock us into that perception of things? Black and/or dark backgrounds are so much more visually attractive to me, so please at least let us choose that as an option, if not the default!

Mar 9, 2014 9:39 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

At 3AM it would be me checking to make sure I did indeed set the alarm, which is often the case.

In general, something intended for nighttime use should not be blazingly white.

It's just stupid and jarring.

I am a huge Apple fan but this is just bad design. Really bad.

At least let me have a preference for dark screen with white fonts, it is so much easier on the eyes at night.

IOS 7 too much white background bothersome?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.