Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NASCAR 2014 schedules won't show in iCal

I've tried several times to import NASCAR 2014 schedules into iCal but they don't show. Clicking the download link will initiate the download to iCal, and then iCal prompts me for a "calender" to store the events (which I select), and then nothing! Any clues would be much appreicated.

The file type in my downloads folder is: eventst.calendarDownload.ics

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 1:34 AM

Hi Perry,

The calendar has been created using dates in a format that Calendar will not accept because they are not correct. If you open the file in a text editor you will see the dates are like this:

20130221T090000-0500

These are presumably five hours behind UTC, but they should actually be either set as 'floating time' with no offset, UTC time ending in the letter 'Z' or they should relate to a timezone stated in the file. The specifications for the .ics file format specifically state they should not be in the format which has been used. See: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt section "4.3.5 Date-Time".

It is either possible to manually correct the file yourself, or you could let the nascar.com website people know and ask them to correct it.

Best wishes

John M

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 1:34 AM in response to Perry Lehman

Hi Perry,

The calendar has been created using dates in a format that Calendar will not accept because they are not correct. If you open the file in a text editor you will see the dates are like this:

20130221T090000-0500

These are presumably five hours behind UTC, but they should actually be either set as 'floating time' with no offset, UTC time ending in the letter 'Z' or they should relate to a timezone stated in the file. The specifications for the .ics file format specifically state they should not be in the format which has been used. See: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt section "4.3.5 Date-Time".

It is either possible to manually correct the file yourself, or you could let the nascar.com website people know and ask them to correct it.

Best wishes

John M

Jan 18, 2014 7:00 AM in response to HarryNutz

Harry, I downloaded the 2014 Cup series schedule from NASCAR and then modified the .ics file myself as others suggested here. If you like, I can send you my modified iCal file.

I used Text Wrangler to do the editing on the iCal file (.ics). Text Wrangler is a free text editing application. It's been used by the Mac community for years.

I'll do the same process and for the Nationwide and Truck series schedules when I get around to it.

NASCAR 2014 schedules won't show in iCal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.