Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac white 24 inch 2111 video problem

1. Purchased refurbed from Apple

2. Excellent performance, video started to show anomolies

3. Progressed to eventually display going black

4. Sometimes the iMac rebooted

3. 2013 - Apple store genius diagnosed as failed graphics card (GPU)

4. Installed a reburbished GPU assembly, and upgraded internal hard drive at same time

5. Same problem, LED #4 would go black at same time internal display would go black

6. Hook up external display, both internal display and external display go black at same time

7. Asked vendor for a second GPU assembly.

8. Same problem

9. Hooked up external firewire hard drive, used the same hard drive originally provided by Apple

10. Booted to external firewire hard drive, internal display went white, no other progress

11. Put original internal hard drive back into iMac. Now, the only difference is that a refurbed GPU assembly is installed

12. Boot up, I get to the screen to choose an account, I choose an account, and the internal display goes black

13. At least at step 4, when I was booting off the Apple install disk, it would install for 15 - 20 minutes, before the internal screen went black.

14. Always when the display goes black, LEDs 1,2,3 remain light, and the iMac has power because I can see the fans continue to spin.

15. The display goes black so fast, it doesn't "seem" it could be over heating so fast.

So, I don't know what to check next.

I don't want to buy a replacement logic board on the hopes that it fixes the problem, unless I really "know" that is the problem.

It's the common problem of how much money to sink into a failing system, but I've post to iFixit.com and no luck so far.

Thanks for any help.

iMac (24-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 4:33 PM

There are no replies.

iMac white 24 inch 2111 video problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.