Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a device to my iTunes account?

I just got an iPhone 5S and I have an existing iTunes account from my iPod. I went into mange devices on iTunes but I only see the option of deleting a device, not adding. So how do I add one then?

Dell PC, Windows XP

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:53 AM

Why do they make this so hard? Isn't Apple supposed to be the user-friendly company?

38 replies

Nov 18, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Colbly

Hi, Colbly.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

You would just need to sign into your Apple ID through Settings > iTunes & App Store to associate your device to your Apple ID. This will give you access to all your previous purchases made with your Apple ID. You may be asked to answer your security questions as an authentication method on new purchases with the device.

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4627

Downloading past purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Cheers,

Jason H.

Mar 13, 2017 11:43 AM in response to affuller

Correct. The iPod Nano cannot be signed into iCloud. As for audio playback, unless you are trying to playback tracks from the Apple Music subscription service, you do not need to authorize an iPod Nano.

Tracks from the Apple Music subscription service are not supported on iPod Nano, Shuffle or Classic as it requires a connection to the internet.

Apr 12, 2014 11:45 AM in response to jason269

I have the same problem. I had to replace my iphone because the other one decided to simply stop powering on. So noiw after dealing with the hassle of that, I don't seem to be able to assoicate my new phone to my apple ID. Which I assume is why even after downloading an app through itunes, and dragging and dropping it onoto my phone, it isn't installing on mty phone. I thought iphones were supposed to be reliable and easy to use. This is becoming a pain in the *** and frankly I'm hating Apple right now. Oh and why the **** is this the case: "if no devices have been associated with the Apple ID, then the Manage Devices section will not be visible." Isn't the whole point to have that section visible so I can add my new device.

Mar 2, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Colbly

I am also having this problem. Just got a new Macbook Air. I'm not able to listen or download any of the music I've bought on iTunes in the past. I've signed out, signed back in on here, tried to get iTunes to recognize my new device. Gone to the "manage devices" section, but only saw the option to remove, not add. Very frustrating. Macbook is amazing otherwise, though.

Mar 8, 2015 9:24 PM in response to Becca Smith

According to another post about managing an iPad, downloading past purchases onto your new device will solve the issue. I haven't tried it but I plan to when I stop receiving errors about my iphone not having enough space to download music when it need 4GB and itunes tells me that have 6.2GB available. Alas - another Apple issue!! More than enough space but somehow not enough space...

Mar 28, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Colbly

I figured this out this morning. You need to make sure that in iTunes - preferences - under the store menu that you have checked at least one of the automatic download boxes indicating that you want to automatically download movies, music, etc. Once you check the box, your computer will show up in the list of added devices in the manage account section of iTunes. To get your phone to show up in the list, you need to go into your iTunes settings on your phone and make sure you have turned on at least one item for automatic downloads (music, apps, books, etc.) Once I did this, both devices showed up in the list.

It took me a couple of hours to figure this out through a lot of trial and error so I thought I would share as none of the other postings helped.

How do I add a device to my iTunes account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.