Previous 1 87 88 89 90 91 Next 1,356 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2014 8:21 PM by Loner T Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • bodosom Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Vandergraff wrote:

    However I think his summary is spot on  "Bottom line is this is good for Netflix, Comcast and for consumers and it has absolutely nothing to do with Net Neutrality."

    I don't think this is the forum for a dissection of the Netflix business dealings so I leave it at most of the "facts" in the article are irrelevant (speed vs throughput is a strawman), speculation (Netflix will pay the same or less) or wrong (Netflix doesn't own pipes) and the entire thesis depends on the premise of competitive access to the consumers' home.  That's not true so there's no reason to assume this deal will be good for anyone but Comcast.

  • Tony Ramirez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    It seems too that all my devices connect to nyc001.ix.nflxvideo.net and even they have problems during peak hours.  As the ATV can't even get HD maybe 720p after multiple reloads it may even drop down to SD.  Also even my PS3, Roku 3 and Chromecast do that more often half way though a program.

     

    What really irks me and gets me ticked off is the fact that it is connecting to Netflix in NYC practically across the bridge from me so there is no bull about last mile.  It is only traveling a few miles no reason to play fine in the beginning then start to get congested half way.  I stream from Amazon Prime which connects me all the way to California on the other side of the stinking country fine but Netflix practically next door has problems in the evenings.  Of course mornings and afternoons are fine even on the ATV.

  • Loner T Level 6 Level 6 (11,050 points)

    Tony Ramirez wrote:

     

    It seems too that all my devices connect to nyc001.ix.nflxvideo.net and even they have problems during peak hours. 

    This is the same destination that bodosom has problems with.

  • Tony Ramirez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I know and what really bothers me is that it is so close to where I am located.  How come performance much further away is better?  It really makes no sense.

  • Loner T Level 6 Level 6 (11,050 points)

    Tony Ramirez wrote:

     

    I know and what really bothers me is that it is so close to where I am located.  How come performance much further away is better?  It really makes no sense.

    Geographical distance has a potential impact on latency. There are many other factors which may impact your content. According to Dan Rayburn, you should try traceroute to debug your issues of content delivery! (Just kidding).

  • bodosom Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Tony Ramirez wrote:

     

    I stream from Amazon Prime which connects me all the way to California

    Amazon uses Akamai.  You should be streaming from a NY peering point although it could depend on your ISP.

  • Tony Ramirez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    bodosom wrote:


    Amazon uses Akamai.  You should be streaming from a NY peering point although it could depend on your ISP.

    I do stream from a NY peering point is what annoys me the fact that I am at most 5 miles away from it yet peering points from California perform better.

  • bodosom Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    You said your Amazon streams came from California.  Since Amazon uses one or more CDNs you're not getting their data from California unless something is wrong.  Even if they were sourcing the data themselves I'd expect them to use their eastern data center for the east coast.

     

    Of course as noted the physical location of the peering point is just one part of latency.

  • -scstraus- Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This has nothing to do with the ISP.

     

    How do I know? Using the same ISP I get 1280x720 when testing the example video on my iphone or iPad (which I can stream to my apple tv at this resolution). When I use the AppleTV I get 320x240! Both devices on the same Wifi router with the same configuration. I have an internet connection that consistently tests at 32MBit down and 6MBit up. Hulu, youtube, itunes and everything else have zero problem playing 1080p on the appletv.

     

    This is a problem with Netflix specifically on the AppleTV.

  • Tony Ramirez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Since I been having better streaming reliability recently I decided to  try the ATV turd again. I hooked it up in the afternoon and watched The  Clone Wars movie and a couple of other things with no problems. This was  all on 5Ghz WiFi. Before I tried about five different Ethernet cables  of different lengths. I though great problem may be finally fixed then  you guessed it after 7 PM EST I tried to watch Fringe and at first it  was in Super HD then it dropped down to 720p. Why because the adaptive  streaming ***** as usual it can't handle a little congestion which I  don't get in the mornings or afternoons. I can tell when it is a lower  quality when I can see that annoying blockage in the dark scenes.  Disconnected again I can't wait until my uncle comes. It is a sin I  wasted my money on it as when I do get Super HD (mornings and  afternoons) it has the sharpest picture next to the Chromecast and the  best sound quality. The Roku 3 and PS3 don't look quite as sharp with  its Super HD.

  • ericfromin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    ITS YOU ISP, THEY ARE LIMITING NETFLIX.COMCAST DID THAT TO ME FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS,AFTER TALKING TO A ISP TECH IT CLEARED UP RIGHT AWAY & HAS BEN PERFECT USING MY APTV.5800 BITRATE ALL THE TIME, 28MB DOWN 6MGB UP. THE ATV GIVES THE BEST PIX OVER CHROMECAST & ROKU HANDS DOWN.

  • Antonio Spinozzi1 Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)

    I've been monitoring this discussion for several months now (isn't it dire that I can say such a thing) and not thought it just to input anything as I watch US Netflix via DNS in the UK. However, this issue is now affecting me in the UK with UK Netflix. In fact, every region I opt for be it in Europe or the Americas is now plagued with the common occurrence of pausing momentarily after a few seconds play to resume with unwatchable quality. This for me, thereby makes my Apple TV largely redundant as I only use it for Netflix.

     

    The workaround of an iPad does indeed work. And it still works fine (albeit with a very poor interface) on my Samsung TV app.

     

    Broadband speed is fine and doesn't suffer drop outs. This all points to the Netflix app on the Apple TV.

  • tg1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Ditto for me viewing US Netflix from Australia.  Used to be perfect HD quality on the ATV.  Now it either is terrible from the start of a video, or pauses to buffer after a few seconds and switches to a barely watchable resolution.

     

    If I switch to the Xbox360 app (which is connected via ethernet to the same router the ATV is, also by ethernet) the quality is perfect - consistent HD, no stops.  Same perfect when viewing via browser (Safar, Chrome and Firefox all tested) on a desktop connected to the same network via ethernet, or via the iPad app over wifi (on the same network).

     

    I can't see how it has anything to do with my ISP or my internal network if Netflix streaming speed and quality is perfect on every device in my house except the ATV?

  • Loner T Level 6 Level 6 (11,050 points)

    Antonio Spinozzi1 wrote:

     

    I've been monitoring this discussion for several months now (isn't it dire that I can say such a thing) and not thought it just to input anything as I watch US Netflix via DNS in the UK. However, this issue is now affecting me in the UK with UK Netflix. In fact, every region I opt for be it in Europe or the Americas is now plagued with the common occurrence of pausing momentarily after a few seconds play to resume with unwatchable quality. This for me, thereby makes my Apple TV largely redundant as I only use it for Netflix.

    Perhaps Norway can help -

     

    http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/10/netflix-reportedly-reaches-another-comcast-st yle-agreement-with/?ncid=rss_truncated

  • bodosom Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    While I've been fooled before the 7.1 update has at least two differences.  My ATV3 is sourcing from a more distant (Chicago) node and I can run two 5800kbps streams at the same time (ATV3 and TiVo).

     

    The former is rare the latter is unheard of for me.