Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't erase hard drive

Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am getting rid of my imac from 2007, followed the instructions to erase my hard drive -- restart computer, hit command R -- disk utility, Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Erase -- except I get the error message:

Disk Erase failed

Couldn't unmount disk

Does anyone know how I can get around this to just delete all my data? I have OS X, but don't have the original disk.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:44 PM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2013 7:50 PM in response to kroland

You can only erase the partition that OS X is installed on you cannot erase the whole drive if you are booted off the Recovery partition. For you purposes, clearing the disk of your data before getting rid of the Mac that will be enough.

If you are selling or giving away this machine you really should be giving the new owner the original OS DVD. They will not be able to do anything with the machine without the OS DVD.

regards

Nov 16, 2013 1:31 PM in response to kroland

Since your 2007 came with install disks, I don't believe that the recovery option will do what you need it to do. You would need to be booted from another source such as your install disk in order to erase the drive. I would certainly suggest that you use the secure option (writing zeroes 3x) since you are giving it to a company for parts - you don't want anything on your hard drive to be recoverable.

Nov 16, 2013 1:54 PM in response to kroland

kroland wrote:

Thank you for the response! I'm not selling it or giving it away to a friend -- just to a company for the parts. How do I just clear the disk -- which is the partition that OS X is installed on?

Just erase the partition that OS X is installed on and any other partitions you might have made. That will erase your personal data. In Disk Utility it will look something like

User uploaded file

Of course the name will be different on your system

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

can't erase hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.