Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nik Plug-in Grey Screen on Death Workaround

Annoying bug when editing images using Nik Plug-in collection and Aperture 3.5.1/Mavericks: Once you save the image and go back to viewer mode, the viewer is grey only. Interestingly, if you open the loupe, you see the image through it. Unfortunately you cannot see any other image on the viewer (edited or not with Nik). After restarting Aperture, everything comes back to normal.

Here is my workaround:

Do NOT start the plug-in from the viewer mode, but rather from the Browser mode (right click on the image: edit with plug-in, then the Nik Plug-in (Silver Effex Pro 2 for example). Once you save the image and you are back into Aperture, then you can enter the Viewer mode without getting the Grey Screen Bug!

Seems that the bug is related to generating the preview after editing with Nik.

Hope that helps

Raf

ps. this is working on a fresh install of Mavericks on a rMBP, Aperture 3.5.1 and Nik Collection version 1.108

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Nik Plug-in

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 8:15 PM

21 replies

Nov 22, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Rafael Perini

I had the same problem but with a little "bonus feature". After I used one of the NIK plugins and open another image Aperture says "no compatable file" (triangle with an exclamation mark in it). For my luck I saved the old installer and now I just installed the old version and ervything works fine again.

Thank you Google. For myself I can say for sure that this time it's Googles fault.

Nov 24, 2013 12:58 AM in response to Rafael Perini

Hi, I was experiencing the same issue with Mavericks, Aperture 3.5.1 and the latest version of the Nik / Google collection plugins. I found that after returning from Color Efex Pro that there was a thumbnail of the version, but that viewing the image in the browser just showed the grey screen.

Switching back to the browser, selecting the affected image and then invoking the "Generate Preview" command (Aperture Photo menu & hold down the alt/option key) worked for me.

However, since doing this once I am unable to replicate the grey screen effect wth Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro or Analog Efex Pro.

Hope this helps

Adrian

Message was edited by: mtb_monster - correction to poor grammar

Nov 24, 2013 7:06 AM in response to hval

This is peculiar, I've now repeated the process on my main Mac (mid 2011 27" iMac on 10.9, Aperture 3.5.1 & latest Nik Collection) and I was met with the grey screen after taking an image to Color Efex Pro. This time I was initally unable to get the preview (re)generated or to delete the preview. To make matters worse I was unable to view any images in the Viewer. I selected 5 projects at random and could not see any preview images within the Viewer.

I quit and restarted Aperture (only not my Mac) and returned to the orginal image I had taken to CEP. In the Viewer it tooks 30 seconds or so to generate a preview and then there it was, no grey screen. All other projects had previews as per normal.

Now that the preview has been generated I also tested taking other random images out to Silver Efex Pro and also Analog Efex Pro. Previews generate quickly and the original behaviour with the grey screen cannot be replicated.

Hope this helps. It would be interesting to know if other people have similar experiences.

We are not alone - another thread here

Message was edited by: mtb_monster : added link to other thread

Dec 1, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Rafael Perini

Good morning all,

I have the same problem and all the solutions you indicate doesn't work.

I have aperture 3.5.1 and Nik Plug-in collection but when I use it (for example Color Efex Pro 4) to modify an image and I save it appear a grey screen and I have to restar Aperture because doesn't work for any other images.

Someone found a solution?

I use Aperture from 4 years and never happen something like this!

I have a latest 27 inch Imac 2,9 ghz core 5

Nik Plug-in Grey Screen on Death Workaround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.