Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Bad Appple" AX?

I have a circa 2005 AX model A1084. Was using it just to stream music to my stereo. Then I trtied setting it up to link by AirPrint enabled HP LaserJet to my network. the LJ does not have its own WiFi. No go! Airport Utility 6.3 shows it but my Airport Extreme (2009) no longer can connect to it. 😢 So I took the LJ out and connected it to my AE and I can AirPrint from my iPad on the LJ.

I can connect to the AX with Airport Utility 5.6.1. Has my Apple AX gone bad?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Firefox; Thunderbird, NeoOffice

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:49 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2013 6:51 AM in response to John Mertes

While using the Express as your router, did AirPrint ever work in the past?

AirPrint was introduced long after the original Express was discontinued, and I'm not completely certain the original Express ever supported AirPrint.

What is your HP LaserJet's model number? AirPrint - enabled printers don't require a physical connection, just a compatible wireless router.

Nov 16, 2013 10:29 AM in response to John Mertes

This is the first time I tried using the printer connected (by ethernet cable) to my network.

If you are trying to configure the A1084 AirPort Express model that you have to connect to the AirPort Extreme wirelessly, the Express will connect, but the Ethernet port on the AirPort Express will not be enabled when you do this.

You need the newer A1264 or A1392 version of the AirPort Express for that type of functionality.

Nov 16, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi,

Just used Google to find this apple page on the AX (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731):

While in client mode, AirPort Express with 802.11n will be able to use the Ethernet port to pass Wi-Fi traffic to a device connected to the Ethernet port. However, the original AirPort Express 802.11g doesn't support this feature and will disable the Ethernet port. Only compatible USB printers or audio devices are supported.

So that confirms what you said. my old AX just won't do this. :-(

Time to spend some $

John

"Bad Appple" AX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.