Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to iOS 7.0.4: Speakers and buttons stopped functioning!

After my recent upgrade to 7.0.4 (literally around 2 hours ago) I noticed that my iPhone 5's speakers stopped working, and so did the button that people would normally use to turn down the volume.

I tried:

• restoring my phone back to factory settings

setting it up as a new iPhone

• restoring a backup from a week ago when the sounds and buttons were still functioning
  • restarting my phone

Is anybody experiencing this problem? What are some things I can try to resolve this problem?

(I do not have a phonecase that could be blocking the speaker, no water damage, no cracked screen, etc.)

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 11:31 PM

14 replies

Nov 17, 2013 11:20 AM in response to kathysandpie

I am having the same problem. Even as I am typing this with my 4S the sound of the keys come and go. I try to hear music that I bought off of iTunes on my phone or on pandora and the music completely stops playing. I've even handle an email come thru and I only heard half of the notification sound. I will try to watch videos on YouTube and I get the same thing. This is so frustrating!!!

Nov 18, 2013 6:37 PM in response to kathysandpie

Hello everyone. I am happy to say I had my speaker fixed and it was due to a disfunctional speaker module. If you haven't tried all the things I've listed about, please go to your nearest Apple Store and reserve an appointment with their genius bar! If you are covered by your Apple Care, you should be able to get your iPhone repaired for free. If you are not covered by Apple Care, the amount to fix the speaker module is $65 (CAD)! Luckily, I got mine repaired for free even though I didn't have a warranty. I hope this helps everyone out there.

Jan 8, 2014 4:26 AM in response to dkblay

Insanity!!!!

This one worked for me. It also happened on my wifes phone and I actually just went into my control center, turned on rotation lock then turned it back off again and that sorted her out. As a side note, we seem to experience the volume button issue after using out phones in the car when linked via cable.

Upgraded to iOS 7.0.4: Speakers and buttons stopped functioning!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.