Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ENABLE automatic termination

I read that starting with Lion, when some apps have no open windows in the background, OS X automatically quits them. It's been working great in Mountain Lion, I liked it it TextEdit and Preview, especially. Now, in Mavericks, I noticed that this doesn't happen any more. When I close the last document in either one of the two, the app remains open even after I switch to some other app. I read in the Mac Developer Library the following:

Enabling Automatic Termination in Your App

Declaring support for automatic termination lets the system know that it should manage the actual termination of your app at appropriate times. An app has two ways to declare its support for automatic termination:

• Include the
    NSSupportsAutomaticTermination
    key (with the value
    YES
    ) in the app’s
    Info.plist
    file. This sets the app’s default support status.
  • Use the
    NSProcessInfo
    class to declare support for automatic termination dynamically. Use this technique to change the default support of an app that includes the
    NSSupportsAutomaticTermination
    key in its
    Info.plist
    file.

There are no such lines in the plist of Preview or TextEdit. And I wouldn't dare to modify their Info.plist file... Or should I? Is there any way to get this feature back or to force its enabling? I know it should be there, by default, but it simply isn't. I tried repairing my permissions, restarting the system, but to no avail.

I am mainly interested in this behavior in Preview or TextEdit, but it would be nice to actually choose the apps that have automatic termination.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 8:01 AM

Mine works fine with application like Pages and Preview. But after installing app that requires Accessibility (System Preference > Privacy > Accessibility), the Automatic Termination stops working.

I think enabling accessibility is preventing automatic termination because after I installed HazeOver and Magnet, which requires Accessibility, automatic termination stops working.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I found this:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsapplicationdelegate/1428381-a pplicationshouldterminateafterl?preferre…

I think it’s a method for automatic termination (for coders 🙂)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2017 8:01 AM in response to m3adi3c

Mine works fine with application like Pages and Preview. But after installing app that requires Accessibility (System Preference > Privacy > Accessibility), the Automatic Termination stops working.

I think enabling accessibility is preventing automatic termination because after I installed HazeOver and Magnet, which requires Accessibility, automatic termination stops working.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I found this:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsapplicationdelegate/1428381-a pplicationshouldterminateafterl?preferre…

I think it’s a method for automatic termination (for coders 🙂)

Mar 20, 2017 7:30 PM in response to Eric Root

http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verify-repair-permissions-mac-os-x/ says disk utility won't do but repair_packages will do but

$ sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Password:

sudo: /usr/libexec/repair_packages: command not found

and http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/255727/repair-packages-command-not-foun d says repair_packages also won't do in 2017 but os update will but I regularly update my OS and I still have the problem.

Nov 19, 2013 10:41 AM in response to m3adi3c

I found the solution and I'll explain it here.

First, I booted into safe mode and I noticed that the problem wasn't present. So I figured it had something to do with third party apps, so I started deleting one by one those that I didn't actually need. It didn't solve the problem, so I reset Preview and TextEdit by deleting their .plist in /Library/Preferences. I repaired the permissions and now everything's fine. I don't know if it had to do with the .plist or the combination of that with some third party app, but I found the solution.

ENABLE automatic termination

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.