Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Numbers not recogizing custom date format?

I have problems with Numbers recognizing the Date Format set in System Settings/ Lanaguage and Region.

The problem is that I have set the region to Luxembourg, where I live. I don't know why, but Apple as set the default Date format for Luxembourg to MM/DD/YY although the oficial Date format of Luxembourg is DD/MM/YY. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country)

That can be easlly changed via customizing the date format as shown on the printscreen.

Unfortunately, Numbers doesn't recognize the customisation and tries to use the (wrongly) standard format for Luxembourg: MM/DD/YY.

Any idea how to solve this? (except from changing the region every time i'm using numbers?)

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 6:12 AM

6 replies

Nov 16, 2013 6:32 AM in response to sébastienfromlarochette

Sébastien,

I think you have a valid complaint. The handling of dates in Numbers 3.0 is fragile and probably should undergo some examination by the software folks at Apple. The best way to call it to their attention is to use the feedback tool in the Numbers menu. The majority of complaints about date formatting in Numbers 3.0 have come from non-English system users.

I have found here, for instance, that the Automatic format doesn't recognize YYYY-MM-DD as a date, even though it's an option in the Format menu on my Numbers app. MM-DD-YYYY is recognized by Automatic or by cell formatted as Date and Time MM-DD-YYYY. If I input the date as MM-DD-YYYY and then change the format to YYYY-MM-DD it converts to that arrangement and continues to be accepted as a date.

I hope that you can find a way to get the format you need.

Jerry

Nov 16, 2013 4:07 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

I have found here, for instance, that the Automatic format doesn't recognize YYYY-MM-DD as a date, even though it's an option in the Format menu on my Numbers app. MM-DD-YYYY is recognized by Automatic or by cell formatted as Date and Time MM-DD-YYYY. If I input the date as MM-DD-YYYY and then change the format to YYYY-MM-DD it converts to that arrangement and continues to be accepted as a date.

It really is confusing. I have my Region as US with dates modified as follows:

User uploaded file

And I get this, a little different from your experience and I don't know what settings would affect that. Maybe Medium and Long have something to do with it? It seems smart, sometimes too smart, and I can't figure what controls what, if indeed there is any pattern to user control at all.

User uploaded file

In any case, it would be great if Sébastien could report via Numbers>Provide Numbers Feedback.

SG

Nov 16, 2013 6:37 PM in response to sébastienfromlarochette

Hi Sebastien,

Numbers 2.3 should still be on your computer in a folder called iWork '09 inside the Applications folder.

Use Numbers 2.3 to creat a Custom cell format

User uploaded file

Save that document, then open it in Numbers 3. The Custom format is listed under Format Inspector > Cell > Data Format.

User uploaded file

Save As Template.

Copying a Custom cell in Numbers 2 and pasting into Numbers 3 does not work. The pasted cell becomes Text.

Regards,

Ian.

Nov 25, 2013 3:09 AM in response to jakob.joergensen

Hi Jakob,

Numbers is not a clone of Excel. Even in Numbers version 2, conversion by Export works in some ways but is not perfect. If you repeatedly export/import between the two apps, errors accumulate. You will spend much time reconfiguring each document.

I suggest you use Excel or one of the free Excel-look-alikes for documents that the company uses. He who pays the piper calls the tune!

Regards,

Ian.

Why is Numbers not recogizing custom date format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.