Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second Screen to a MacBook Air 11'

Recently our old pc broke down and we recycled some of the hardware parts. We now have a spare screen monitor and I would like to connect that screen to my normal MacBook Air 11'. My problem is that the screen has a VGA + DVI port and my macbook air only has 1 thunderbolt port. How do I connect this to each other?

If there was only 1 port like DVI on the screen I would use a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter which you can buy easily online, but I'm confused when there are two different ports and only 1 port available on my macbook air. If there are some people who have knowledge of this and can help me with my problem that would be great 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), MacBook Air 11 inch.

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 8:02 AM

The way you describe your display it sounds as if it can accept input from either a DVI or a VGA source. This was quite common several years ago and even today many displays ship with this dual input abiity. In either case, you'll need the proper adaptor - just head over to the online Apple Store to see which adaptor best meets your needs. The thunderbolt port of your computer can be used to plug in a mini-dsiplayport adaptor so you can use either the DVI or the VGA input of your display. I'd recommend DVI.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Micclift

The way you describe your display it sounds as if it can accept input from either a DVI or a VGA source. This was quite common several years ago and even today many displays ship with this dual input abiity. In either case, you'll need the proper adaptor - just head over to the online Apple Store to see which adaptor best meets your needs. The thunderbolt port of your computer can be used to plug in a mini-dsiplayport adaptor so you can use either the DVI or the VGA input of your display. I'd recommend DVI.

Nov 18, 2013 6:15 AM in response to dwb

Yeah I saw one on some other site, similar to amazon or something, but they were like 12 USD $ so I wasn't sure about those, but I think I'll definately buy this one, the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter since DVI quality is a little bit better than VGA I believe. Thanks alot for the help, I've been asking around with some friends but nobody has apple so they wouldn't know.

Second Screen to a MacBook Air 11'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.