Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S sounds muffled

Using the 5S on the left side of my face [I'm left -handed] causes the people I talk to say I sound muffled on the 5S when speaking to them. If I switch the 5S to the right side of my face to talk, the people I'm talking to say I sound 100% better. I have used the iphone 4S for 2 years with no issues. Once I upgrated to the iphone 5S, people I talk to say I sound muffled, like I'm in a tunnel, ask me to constantly repeat myself, want me to call them back b/c they think it's a bad connection, ask me if I'm speaking on a crappy headset. I have gone thru 4 [that's right 4 iphone 5S phones!] 5S phones, thinking I'm receiving some bad phones. But everyone of the 5S iphones I have used [ on the left side of my face b/c I'm left-handed] the people I'm talking to say I sound bad. I love the 5S phone, operating system, how quick it is but for me, all 4 sounded muffled to the people I talk to so I had to go to a different brand phone all together. One thing I can tell you: the microphone and speaker on the bottom of the iphones - comparing the 4S to the 5, 5C & 5S, they are opposite. In other words, the microphone on the bottom of the 4s is on the right side of phone - looking at the front face of the phone. The 5, 5c & 5s, the microphone is on the left side . I beleive this is why I had a bad experience with the 5S phone - in terms of people I talk to say I sounded muffled. Anyone else experience this same issue?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 7:14 AM

10 replies

Dec 23, 2013 8:26 PM in response to bridget820

I experience the identical issue, even after the Apple Store replaced my phone two days ago (followed by a "new phone" rather than a "restore from backup" configuration). I've tried turning off/on Phone Noise Cancelation and manually covering the video mic during a phone call without success, but switching to the right ear helps as reported by those with whom I'm speaking. I always keep the volume set to full, so maybe that's part of the problem. I'm still researching this to see if it's possibly a hardware design issue (i.e., the location of the mics/speakers) or possibly some type of software conflict. I'm not using Control Center's AirDrop, but I see that there's an AirPlay button to toggle between iPhone Speaker and iPhone, and mine is set on iPhone. Is that the correct setting so as not to conflict with phone calls? As much as I appreciate the incredible technology integrated into the iPhone, foremost it needs to be a working phone.

Feb 10, 2014 5:50 AM in response to efuller65

Like my post stated, I went thru four 5s iphones with Apple before I had to go to a different model phone [use a Galaxy S4 now]. Apple never said anything to me about disabling the noise cancellation mic. Besides dealing with this issue at the Apple store, I must have spent numerous hours on the phone trying to resolve this issue to no avail. If they could do that, I would still be using the 5s! I attribute this to a bad design for people like me who are left-handed and speak in a cell phone on the left side of their face. People said to me that they can hear me clear as a bell when I switched to my right side of face but that is too bid of an adjustment for this left hander! I have the S4 for 2 years, maybe in 2 yrs, Apple will make the required design adjustments on future models and I will seriously consider the future version of the iphone 5s. Good Luck!

Feb 20, 2014 3:11 PM in response to leftapple

I have also switched out my phone and it was no help. I never had this problem with the Iphone4 and it is a huge problem because unless the people at the other end tell you that there is a problem you don't know. I have never seen a response from Apple acknowledging the problem including at the Apple store when they switched it out.

Feb 20, 2014 3:51 PM in response to leftapple

FWIW. I've always used my left ear when using any phone (including my iPhone 3 and 4) and have held the phone nearly perpendicular to the ground (i.e., at a 90 degree angle), and no one ever complained about echoes, muffled sound, etc. Once I realized that the 5S is longer than previous versions and that, as a result, the microphone is farther away from my face, I adjusted the way I held the phone (still using my left ear), making sure that the microphone is pointed at my mouth (almost a 45 degree angle instead of the 90 degree angle I was accustomed to using). Since I've done that, I've had no complaints from those on the other end of the conversation. It took awhile for me to remember to make the adjustment, but that seems to have addressed the issue for me, and I can still use my left ear for phone calls. I'd be curious to know if this seems to address the issue for anyone else...

iPhone 5S sounds muffled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.