Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Not Being Recognised

Hi there,

A few days ago, my 2TB Western Digital 'My Passport' was working perfectly. I have two partitions on it, the first 1.5TB for my general use and the last 500GB for my Mac, to act as a Time Machine. Both partitions have been working fine until a couple of days ago when the Time Machine partition could not be read by my Macbook Pro. Whenever I connect my Hard Drive, it pops up with a dialog box saying "This Disk Could Not Be Read By This Computer" - or something along those lines - and it gives me 3 options; Ignore, Initialise and Eject. If I click Initialise then it will open in Disk Utility and give me more options. I click on the 'Verify Disk' and it gives me many errors, and it won't let me repair the disk so I just tend to click ignore now. I need to know how I can fix this issue without losing everything on my hard drive, including my personal files on the 1.5TB partition and the current Time Machine back ups that are already on my Hard Drive.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:58 AM

It appears your Time Machine partition had become corrupted. If you can see your Time Machine backup in Finder either copy it to your computer hard drive or the other partition. The best way to do this is using Disk Utility/Restore, although a drag and drop usually works for me.

Then go to Disk Utility, select the Time Machine Partition, and erase it. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the format. Run Repair disk to see if you get any errors.

If everything seems to be okay, copy the backup to the Time Machine partition.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Ubhidoobeedoo

It appears your Time Machine partition had become corrupted. If you can see your Time Machine backup in Finder either copy it to your computer hard drive or the other partition. The best way to do this is using Disk Utility/Restore, although a drag and drop usually works for me.

Then go to Disk Utility, select the Time Machine Partition, and erase it. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the format. Run Repair disk to see if you get any errors.

If everything seems to be okay, copy the backup to the Time Machine partition.

Nov 30, 2013 1:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi, I can't see what is on my partition as it pops up with the dialog box which says that the disk can't be recognised, so it doenst pop up on Finder with the Time Machine partition, but i'll try to find a program which lets Windows read Mac OS Journaled, so I can copy it on to my PC, so I hope that will work. Then i'll format it again (if I can!) then it should be fine! Thanks a lot for your response!

Time Machine Not Being Recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.