Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move iPhoto/Library to external Hard Drive?

I have a MacBook Pro with a large number of pictures that I want to move to an external drive in order to free up the space on my internal hard drive.

End State: I want to store and access all of my photos on my external hard drive.

Question 1: How can I do this?

Question 2: Does this make sense? Is there a better option?

Thanks fro any assistance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:59 AM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2013 10:23 AM in response to rhc1986

make sure the external drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - then drage the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to it, depress and hold the option key, launch iPhoto and use the resulting select library to point to the new location - fully test it and then delete the one on your internal drive, test one more time to be sure and then empty the trash

LN

Jun 20, 2015 6:30 AM in response to awt101

You live the Library first, then select choose library:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

How to move iPhoto/Library to external Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.