Previous 1 2 3 Next 76 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2015 12:00 AM by eXcuvator Branched to a new discussion.
IsobelBlack Level 1 (0 points)

I have just updated to Mavericks and iphoto has a line through the App saying it is the wrong version.

I then updated the App for iphoto via the App store and it still won't work. Any ideas? I also downloaded the latest ilife from the App store too.

Pretty cheesed off. Any suggestions please?

iMac, iOS 5.1.1, I am using 5.5.7 version of safari.
  • LarryHN Level 9 (76,842 points)

what version of iPhoto do you have? You need iPhoto '11 version 9.5 from the App store for OS X 10.9

What does "won't work" mean? We can not see you or yoru computer so you have to provide details to get help

LN

• Old Toad Level 10 (135,329 points)

If it looks like the 3 apps in this screenshot it's not compatible with MavericksiPMcompatibility.png

You will need to go to the App Store and download the latest version of iPhoto, 9.5.  It will be free.

OT

• hrstruggle Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same issue and cannot resolve.  I had already upgraded to iPhoto 9.5 and to Mavericks and was using iPhoto (can't remember for how long) and in the middle of some work, it quit and now, here is what it says when I try to open it:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 6.48.23 AM.png

The iPhoto icon looks like this in the dock:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 6.47.56 AM.png

When I go to the App Store, it says it's already installed and won't let me update it (because, like I said, it already did it).

Any ideas to get it working again?  I have AppleCare but am trying to resolve it myself before I call them . . .

• Terence Devlin Level 10 (137,890 points)

You need to reinstall it:

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5:  Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows:  In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Would it be safe to install iPhoto 9.4.3?

(Kinda new to Macs, so not sure of these simple things . . .)

• LarryHN Level 9 (76,842 points)

Mavricks requires iPhoto '11 version 9.5

LN

That worked.  Thanks.

• bamagrad2004 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same problem.  I inherited my MBP 17 and installed Mavericks after all other updates had occurred.  When I deleted iphoto and went to the App store, the app now costs 14.99.  Any other suggestions?  It is not free as mentioned in the above posts. 

It's free if there's a iPhoto 9 or later version already on the Mac.  Otherwise it's considered an upgrade and upgrades have always required a purchase.

• michelleef Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Terence- I tried this but never was able to unhide my purchases. Iphoto came with my macbook pro and I don't think I have a CD. If I just bought it again would I still have my photos?

• jonomills Level 1 (0 points)

Sorry i got a little heated there. Was tired.

Here is the solution.

Go here https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/iphoto/id408981381?mt=12

Then even if you see a price

Just click view in store. Then you can update it

• sms226 Level 1 (0 points)

Would just like to let you know that you just saved my life THANK YOU

• Mad Dog The Englishman Level 1 (95 points)

I had the same problem but it was easily resolved with the update

One thing to note is that even after the update the icon still had the Circle with the line through it on the icon however it opened fine, The icon will return to normal after a restart usually.

If you're still having problems try a permissions repair using disk utility, it is good practice to perform one of these after you have updated any software

One thing to note is that even after the update the icon still had the Circle with the line through it on the icon however it opened fine

Which update?  Mavericks or iPhoto or both?  What version was your iPhoto at that time?

Previous 1 2 3 Next