Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto not working after a Mavericks update. Any suggestions?

I have just updated to Mavericks and iphoto has a line through the App saying it is the wrong version.

I then updated the App for iphoto via the App store and it still won't work. Any ideas? I also downloaded the latest ilife from the App store too.

Pretty cheesed off. Any suggestions please?

iMac, iOS 5.1.1, I am using 5.5.7 version of safari.

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 10:15 AM

77 replies

Nov 18, 2013 6:50 AM in response to IsobelBlack

I'm having the same issue and cannot resolve. I had already upgraded to iPhoto 9.5 and to Mavericks and was using iPhoto (can't remember for how long) and in the middle of some work, it quit and now, here is what it says when I try to open it:

User uploaded file

The iPhoto icon looks like this in the dock:

User uploaded file

When I go to the App Store, it says it's already installed and won't let me update it (because, like I said, it already did it).

Any ideas to get it working again? I have AppleCare but am trying to resolve it myself before I call them . . .

Nov 18, 2013 6:53 AM in response to hrstruggle

You need to reinstall it:

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jan 25, 2014 9:38 AM in response to IsobelBlack

I had the same problem but it was easily resolved with the update

One thing to note is that even after the update the icon still had the Circle with the line through it on the icon however it opened fine, The icon will return to normal after a restart usually.

If you're still having problems try a permissions repair using disk utility, it is good practice to perform one of these after you have updated any software 🙂

Jan 26, 2014 1:49 AM in response to IsobelBlack

I updated my MBP with Maverics and found Iphoto is neither working nor being uninstalled...i found error like "u have iphoto 9.3.2 which is not supported on maverics. I tried **** lot of ways to fix it but failed. Finally after 24 hours of my effort i decided to delete iphoto from my mac coz even on appstore it showed installed but not opening on my MBP...i deleted iphoto from my MBP and restarted. When i was trying one more time to remove remote files again i found iphoto on finder search ...i double clicked it Booooooom it got opened and working....Yahoooooo it saved my 15 USD...Thanks to every one on Communities.

iphoto not working after a Mavericks update. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.