Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts sync but not all display on iPhone 4S since 7.0.4

Have 35 podcasts, 30 checked for syncing with 921 episodes. BTW, no problems with syncing and playing on my iPod. There is no coorelation with the type of podcasts, same problems with both audio and video podcasts.

Taking Laugh Out Loud from CBC Radio as an example:

• in iTunes all episodes from 9/28/2012 have been downloaded
  • episodes older than 7/12/2013 are unchecked and marked as played
  • episodes newer than 7/12/3013 are checked and marked as unplayed
  • Sync Podcasts settings are:
    • Automatically include all unplayed
    • episodes of selected podcasts
  • with this podcast unchecked for syncing, it shows 14.89 GB free on the phone (of 64GB)
  • exit Podcasts app on iPhone
  • sync iPhone, goes through all 4 sync steps
  • check podcast
  • sync iPhone
  • goes through sync steps
  • shows 14.19 GB free
  • click on Podcasts under my iPhone
  • expand podcast
  • all episodes show checked with a dotted circle instead of a blue circle

this is the common factor between those that sync correctly and those that don't sync

Of course I've tried powering the phone off and on, deleting and reinstalling the Podcasts application, selecting and deselecting podcasts, and selecting and deselecting individual episodes. Never had this problem with my prior iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 nor with my iPods.

Also, just took over this phone from my wife so the phone was reset to factor defaults and then completely setup for me. Our phones are sync'd to different computers. I'm using iTunes on Windows 7 and yes I admit this can be the problem. iTunes on Windows is frequently quite buggy.

Any suggestions?

iTunes 11.0.2.26-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 11:43 AM

11 replies

Dec 1, 2013 3:19 PM in response to jbird8383

I have the same problem with my iPhone 5s. Again its for podcasts I've manually added to iTunes. I can see that it has synced and when you do an iphone wide search from the main screen the podcasts are listed but when you try to click on them it opens the podcasts app but the podcasts app does not show the files. Have tried converting ID tags / AAC format, using garageband to export as podcast to itunes, etc. no luck.

Dec 14, 2013 10:19 AM in response to ec28

Additional tests with two phones on two platforms, both of which have different failure scenarios.

• 4S with Windows Ultimate 64 bit
  • 5S with OSX (latest)
  • Podcast which causes the problem: You're the Expert

Note that this podcast sync'd and played on an iPod Nano 7th gen without problems.

results

4S with Windows

• If this podcast is selected for syncing to the phone, iTunes locks up and never syncs the episodes.
  • Only the podcast header is synced.
  • iTunes also locks up while syncing and stays locked up forever, well, I let it stay locked overnight.

5S with OSX

• Syncs the podcast and episode headers.
  • Does not sync the episode content.
  • Content must be downloaded one by one for each episode directly from the iTunes store.
  • Once downloaded, they play.
  • BUT!
  • iTunes on OSX shows the sync is complete.
  • The spinning sync wheel on the iPhone spins forever (well, hours anyway) yet nothing appears to be syncing.
  • To stop the syncing, the podcast must be deleted from the phone.

Note to Apple, in case you read these discussions, we live relatively close to two Apple stores. If you would like to have us go into the store for some testing by your folks, we would be glad to do that.

Jan 19, 2014 2:23 PM in response to sherpa75

Same Problem Same Versions of teh software. I have tried all the same approached to resolve. It appears that iTunes is no longer communicating with the podcasts app. However, I did delete all of the subscriptions on the iPhone only to have a synch result in deleting all of the podcasts from my Mac. This update is a bit of a disaster and is resulting in data loss. I am afraid to synch my iPhone with my Mac for fear of it deleting my podcasts again. Beware

Jan 19, 2014 2:37 PM in response to jbird8383

jbird8383 wrote:

Hi,

I am experiencing this same issue. I am using iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.4 I am using a Mac with iTunes 11.1.3 (8)

Same issue: all podcasts show in "On this Phone" but not in the Podcast app. For me the ones that are not showing up are manually added to iTunes and only 1 of 6 files I have added this way work.

I had the same issue. With only a single podcast showing. I've posted my workaround in another thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477498?answerId=24273608022#24273608022

Apr 14, 2014 2:34 PM in response to FerreiraBill

I used to have this problem as well, but I found in the Sync for my Phone, while the "Sync Podcasts" box was checked, and ht epodcasts themselves were marked as unplayed and checked for syncing, the iTunes setting ( Settings -> Store -> Sync podcast subscriptions and settings ) was unchecked. Once I checked that and re-synced, it copied the podcasts back to my iPhone 4s.

I still think the Podcasts app is terrible and I occasionally have issues with it, rebooting my phone and resyncing usually helps. I wish I could go back to having my Podcasts in the Music app. I never had problems with it then.

Jun 27, 2014 1:52 PM in response to DSimmon

"settings" ? What, syncing podcast "settings" means, yeah give me the episode I asked you to put on the phone???

Wow.

Yeah, the podcast app pretty much *****. Jumps back to the display all podcasts screen... crashes... and the control center (slide finger up from bottom) may display the podcast play button, but 1 time out of 3 or so I can hit it a million times... podcast episode is displayed.... Nothing happens. And the go forward/go back 15 second arrows fail at a different interval.

I must say that itunes does a relatively bad job making sure podcasts and audiobooks are kept separate from music for "random playlist" reasons. But separating podcasts out on the phone has done zero to alleviate the situ and is yet one more buggy app on the phone.

Podcasts sync but not all display on iPhone 4S since 7.0.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.