Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallpaper ONLY when G5 booted?

I spent the last 2 hours trying to boot from a CD and numerous other suggestions after having updated 10.6 on my desktop G5 Quad and only seeing wallpaper and the mouse cursor. It never occured to me that with a DVI cord to HDMI to my big Sony TV which was NOT ON was the problem.

When I finially got a glimmer of the possible cause on Mac Rumors, it was simple. My monitor attached to the G5 was showing only 2nd monitor wallpaper so when I finally turned on the Sony LCD TV, there was my finder and hard drives. Disconnect the DVI to HDMI on the Sony, reboot and there was everything on the desktop monititor just fine. Whew... So annoying...

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Quad-Core with Asus LED desktop mon

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 11:47 AM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2013 12:54 PM in response to Libralove

If you are actually running Snow Leopard, 10.6.x, then you can't have a G5. That refers to the "5th Generation" PowerPC CPUs Apple used before the switch to Intel CPUs. Snow Leopard requires an Intel based Mac.

Click on the Apple at the upper left and choose About This Mac. What does it say for Processor? I'm assuming you'll shown a quad core Intel chip of some sort.

Wallpaper ONLY when G5 booted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.