Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to get a Nikon D3100, but my macbook has OS 10.5.5 on it and I've read that the D3100 needs at least 10.6.5. What will happen if I try to use this camera with my computer? Will iPhoto simply not recognize it or will I get distorted pictures, or..?

I want to get a Nikon D3100, but my macbook has OS 10.5.5 on it and I've read that the D3100 needs at least 10.6.5. What will happen if I try to use this camera with my computer? Will iPhoto simply not recognize it or will I get distorted pictures, or....what?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 1:37 PM

it wont be compatible with your macs software.

14 replies

Nov 16, 2013 1:47 PM in response to mielr

The 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD is in the Apple online store. You can get it for $19.99. You will need to be running 10.6.8 to access the App Store to order Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

System Requirements for 10.6:

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 1GB of memory
  • 5GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive for installation
  • Some features require a compatible internet service provider: fees may apply.

Nov 16, 2013 2:24 PM in response to frederic1943

Thanks for the info!

The Snow Leopard DVD is just 10.6.0 though, right? I need 10.6.5 for the camera...?

(I really don't have any interest in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks at this point.)

I have a black macbook from 2008, with an Intel processor and a DVD drive.

This is all very confusing, so I think I'll pass on the new camera for now.

Nov 16, 2013 3:12 PM in response to andyBall_uk

The 10.6.5 update had the firmware need for the Nikon. But Apple had more updates after that one up to 10.6.8 when 10.7 Lion came out. The 10.6 DVD in the UK is at http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard For 14 pounds.

10.5 Leopard was written for Power PC Macs with code added to allow it to run on Intel processors.
10.6 Snow Leopard has completely rewritten code and only runs on Intel Macs.

Nov 16, 2013 6:16 PM in response to frederic1943

frederic1943 wrote:

Although why you would want to still be running 10.5? It's a ******* OS that was written for the Motorola Power PC processors with code added to force it to run on Intel processors.

Because I don't want to fix anything that ain't broke, and possibly incur problems with my printers, scanners, other cameras, which all work perfectly now. I don't want to change to a totally new OS just for a single camera.

Nov 16, 2013 6:33 PM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall_uk wrote:

The manual says

❚❚ Supported Operating Systems The supplied software can be used with computers running the following operating systems: • Windows: <snip>

Macintosh: Mac OS X (version 10.4.11, 10.5.8, 10.6.4)

Nikon say that you need 10.6.5+ for the latest firmware, although I don't see why.

Thanks for that! I was looking for that manual, but for some reason, couldn't find it.

I guess I'll have to contact Nikon and find out what the real story is. The camera was introduced in '08 or '09, so I'm wondering why you'd need software as recent as 10.6.5??

Still very confusing. :-?

Why does it state that the camera is compatible with "10.4.11, 10.5.8..."? Does that mean that anything between 4.11 and 5.8 is incompatible???

BTW, I tried downloading the 10.5.8 combo update recently and got an error message that the update was "corrupted" after it was all downloaded, so I was not able to install that.

Nov 19, 2013 6:26 PM in response to mielr

UPDATE (from Nikon):

"Dear *******,

Thank you for contacting Nikon. In order to do the firmware update you will need OS X Mac OS 10.6.5- 10.8.5, however your D3100 is compatible with the mac OS that you have because all of our cameras are plug and play compatible with mac. I am glad I was able to assist you! If you do have any questions feel free to give us a call back at 1-800-NIKONUS!

Thank you,

********"

I want to get a Nikon D3100, but my macbook has OS 10.5.5 on it and I've read that the D3100 needs at least 10.6.5. What will happen if I try to use this camera with my computer? Will iPhoto simply not recognize it or will I get distorted pictures, or..?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.