Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod doesn't show up in devices when I connect it

I have a first generation Ipod shuffle and when I plug it into my USB port, nothing happens. It doesn't show up under devices, nothing opens. How can I copy music onto my ipod shuffle?

iPod shuffle, Windows 8, first generation shuffle

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 3:49 PM

I though you said "nothing happens"... 🙂 The shuffle's light flashing and computer recognizing it are definitely "something."

You should still do the test with the shuffle being the only devices connected, as described in previous reply. Did you do that? This tests for a device conflict and possible lack of power on the USB bus.

In iTunes, is the sidebar (along left side of iTunes window) visible? If it's not, from the iTunes menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. If no devices are connected, there should not be a heading called DEVICES in the sidebar at all. When you connect the shuffle, the heading DEVICES should appear with the shuffle listed below.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 3:49 PM in response to scangelosi

I though you said "nothing happens"... 🙂 The shuffle's light flashing and computer recognizing it are definitely "something."

You should still do the test with the shuffle being the only devices connected, as described in previous reply. Did you do that? This tests for a device conflict and possible lack of power on the USB bus.

In iTunes, is the sidebar (along left side of iTunes window) visible? If it's not, from the iTunes menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. If no devices are connected, there should not be a heading called DEVICES in the sidebar at all. When you connect the shuffle, the heading DEVICES should appear with the shuffle listed below.

Nov 16, 2013 12:46 PM in response to scangelosi

This is the 1st gen shuffle, that looks like a white USB flash drive with a built-in USB plug? This document shows four shuffle types

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1719

The most common failure point for the 1st gen shuffle is the USB plug. Over time, it become worn and stops connecting. So that could be the problem here.

As a test to rule out a problem with the USB connection on the computer, shut down (power off) the computer and disconnect all USB device, including hub, except for standard keyboard and mouse (if normally used). If your computer is a laptop, connect its power supply (so that it is not running on battery power). Do this to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Start up computer, run iTunes, and connect shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer. If the shuffle does not react (not light on shuffle), connect something else to the USB port to confirm it is working, preferably something similar like a USB flash drive or external drive.

Feb 3, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Dear Mr. Watanabe,

I have a somewhat similar problem. Connecting an iPod to my computer automatically starts iTunes - the iPod shows up in iTunes, but not in Finder-> Devices. By performing a trick - holding down Command while I am plugging the iPod - prevents iTunes from starting and lets the iPod be visible in Finder -> Devices. As soon as I start iTunes, however, the iPod disappears from Finder -> Devices. Closing iTunes does not make it reappear. I have to disconnect and reconnect back with the trick. I have disabled the iTunes Helper by the way.

I wonder why can't OSX simply display whatever is connected to it as a device and has to bother itself by hiding its devices? And of course a more specific question is if you know how I can make the iPod appear as a device in Finder no matter whether iTunes is open. I'd simply like to access the files on the iPod just like I may be able to access the files on, say, a SD card, a flash drive, etc.

This so far is the only thing which I dislike when I compare a Mac (new to it) to a PC.

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2015 1:26 PM in response to spokeospok

With iTunes 12, the iPod appears in the horizontal bar that goes across the window (near the top), as a "device button." With "normal" settings, when the iPod is connected AND iTunes is running, iTunes only mounts the iPod's disk while syncing. When syncing is completed, iTunes unmounts the iPod's disk; that is why the iPod no longer appears in Finder. iTunes does this so that the user can physically disconnect the iPod without "ejecting" it in iTunes first. If you want the iPod to continuously appear in Finder while connected (with iTunes running), on the iPod's Summary settings screen (in iTunes), set it to Enable disk use (and Apply). With that setting ON, iTunes does not unmount the iPod's disk when syncing completes; the iPod remains visible in Finder. The user now must Eject the iPod in iTunes before disconnecting it. NOTE: When the Manually manage music [and videos] setting is used (instead of automatic syncing), Enable disk use is already ON.

But the iPod needs to appear in iTunes before you can Enable disk use on its Summary settings screen (accessed by clicking the iPod's device button on the horizontal bar in iTunes). You don't see the iPod's device button in iTunes when you connect it?

If not, this forum category is for the iPod shuffle. When you connect it with iTunes already running, what does the shuffle light do immediately after connecting? If this is NOT a shuffle, what does the iPod's screen say when you connect it? In either case, does the box at the top of the iTunes window say anything related to the iPod (such as "iPod sync is complete") after connecting the iPod?

It may help to know the specific iPod model (including "generation").

I'd simply like to access the files on the iPod just like I may be able to access the files on, say, a SD card, a flash drive, etc.

With Enable disk use turned ON, you can access the iPod's disk like it was an SD card. However, you cannot manage its media that way. To add songs to the iPod, you use iTunes to sync the iTunes library to the iPod (either manually or automatically). So, if you are new to Mac (and did not previously use iTunes on your PC), you need to add your songs to your Mac's iTunes library first, and then use iTunes to load the songs you want on the iPod.

my ipod doesn't show up in devices when I connect it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.