Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson perfection 610 does not work as claimed with Mavericks. The driver has not been working since it was introduced in previous OSX releases. Will Epson look into this matter as the images produced are unusable, the cymk channels are offset.

Has anyone had this scanner working with the Apple drivers? Mavericks still adds this scanner and even gives it the correct icon in the dock. But, the CYMK channels are offset making the output images unusable. Surely this must be a driver fault which has been long standing, before Mavericks. I get the impression it is a generic driver that just maybe recognises an epson scanner and just does what it always does without taking too much care to adapt to the scanner itself. Such as shame as the Apple scanning software is otherwise very good.

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 1:15 PM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2014 9:56 AM in response to tangyminty

Hi there,

the same problem with mine. EPSON support says that it's problem with an old hardware that they does not support any longer. In fact it works fine under Windows lunched as virtual machine under OSX… EPSON do not provide any updates to that scanner and they won't. Frankly, I do not fill if anyone try to find solution for that device, sad but true.

Jun 25, 2014 10:08 AM in response to tangyminty

You might try Vuescan, it has been a Mac standard for many years. Vuescan offers enough options that the initial setup can be a bit daunting, but it works like a champion. The Epson Perfection 610 is on their list of supported scanners and they offer a free limited use trail to be sure it works for you.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to Vuescan other than that of a satisfied user.

Jun 25, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Jotek

Anyone know how to inform Apple they have a problem with the driver? Just to let them know...

Of course there is handmade solution by using Photoshop and move channels each other but frankly...

Here are sample scans which demonstrates the problem, one on mac through Image Capture:

User uploaded file

… and just to compare, the sample I did in Paint (virtual Windows machine under OSX):

User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2014 3:51 PM in response to Jotek

At the risk of being repetitious, Apple does not write drivers for printers and scanners. Their sole contribution is collecting the drivers from the printer/scanner manufacturer and distributing them. Epson has a long history of dropping support for older printers especially on the Mac. As a result third parties have entered the driver ,market for older Epson equipment. For scanners it is Vuescan for printers it is Gutenprint (a.k.a. GIMP-Print).

Mar 2, 2016 8:24 AM in response to tangyminty

Has anyone found a solution to this problem (That's not buying $90 Vuescan)? I've been trying with Epson Support but it's like talking to a brick wall, first they send you basic instructions on how to Scan with Preview (which i've found a bit offensive after you stated an specific problem and knowledge), then after you clearly stated that you have downloaded every single update from the site, bam! they send you the exact same link, and finally they say that the problem must be the computer.

Epson perfection 610 does not work as claimed with Mavericks. The driver has not been working since it was introduced in previous OSX releases. Will Epson look into this matter as the images produced are unusable, the cymk channels are offset.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.