Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display is constantly blinking on OSX Mavericks

Hi folks,

I got:

- Thunderbolt Display,

- Macbook Air,

- Mac Mini.

I am pulling my hair since my Thunderbolt Display started to blink (to black screen for half a second) every minute or so. Sometimes every 5 minutes or few times a minute.

It started happening on OSX Mavericks. I thought it could be only my laptop so I got Mac Mini (with OSX 10.8) from work and attached the display to it - not blinking at all. Then I upgraded OSX on Mini to Mavericks and guess what - now it's blinking with Mini too!

Can anyone help me to diagnose the problem. Is there any way to check system logs to see for display (or thunderbolt itself) errors that might be causing this?

I'm just unable to work because of this blinking and I'm frustrated as the display wasn't cheap :-/

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 2:55 PM

1 reply

Aug 14, 2015 7:50 AM in response to grucha

Maybe this helps someone.

I have the same issue on a MBP 13" of late 2011, bought in May 2012, which originally came with OS X Lion, and has been working together with a Thunderbolt Display bought at the same time, with no issues for +3 years. Right after recently updating to Mountain Lion the blinking problem started on the Thunderbolt display.

Something that works with me is (strange but true), when I got the blinking on the Thunderbolt Display, I put the Mac to sleep and right after wake it up (both sleep and wake with the display connected), and the blinking issue disappear until the next reboot.

Thunderbolt Display is constantly blinking on OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.