Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Merge

Hi. Wow. No Mail Merge, I have a big project and now I have to do it in Word / Excel. Crud. Had I known some basic functions would be cone in Page 5, I would have stayed with the Old Pages. Double Crud. Where can I buy, get back my old Pages app? Please!

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 3:42 PM

You should still have the old Pages on your computer in Applications > iWork 09 folder!

13 replies

Dec 16, 2013 9:30 AM in response to jharder22

Fruhulda is correct. There is a temporary solution if you don't mind going back to Pages '09 with your new Pages 5 document. Pages 5.0 gives you a choice export your Pages 5 document as "Pages '09". Export as "Pages '09" (make sure to label it as created for merging) and then open in previous version of Pages. Updating to Pages 5 did not destroy your previous 4.3 version. It's in your apps!

Now! If you were using a Numbers spreadsheet for your data source, and have also upgraded to the newer version on Numbers, you can follow the same workflow. You will have to export your spreadsheet as Numbers '09 and use that as your merge source. SO you will have to continue to open and work with your Pages '09 and Numbers '09 documents to do your merges until Apples provides us an update containing a mail merge workflow. Ugly I know, but it will tie you over. Apple never leaves you hangin' forever.

May 4, 2014 8:08 AM in response to mlampertz

I just bought a new MacBook Pro with Maveicks installed, and on migrating lost Pages "09...didn't bother me as I thought Pages 5 was an improvement. Like others, horrified when I went to do my regular Mail Merge and found it has gone - beggars belief!!. Luckily, I have been using a Time Machine hard drive and was able to go back a couple of months and recover iWork '09. To my relief, this lets me do my Mail Merge as before. Don't know yet about creating new ones, but will follow advice by other contibutors.

Apple have gravely disappointed me (and many others) with this dumbing down...

Aug 1, 2014 7:08 AM in response to Bajer

I use my MacBook Pro to service my work with a number of clients. Imagine how dismayed I was this week to tell a client that I could not perform an ordinary mail merge for the client because Apple had removed the capability from its software. The client looked at my like I had just landed from some kind of pre-20th Century culture. No mail merge? "You mean you don't know how to do it?" the client asked. "No, I mean, I cannot do it because the function has been removed from my Apple software," I replied. "No, no, no," the client said. "It's just you don't know how to run your software." "No, I replied, mail merge used to be part of the software and Apple took it away. Thus, I cannot complete your assignment."

This was a most embarrassing moment. I certify to my clients that I have a full suite of office software. But owning iWorks apparently no longer means I have a full suit of office software. I now own software that is every bit as capable as the software on my tablet and smartphone. But on a PC like a MBP, I expect more features -- certainly not the removal of a standard feature.

I love Apple. I love living in the Apple universe. But today, Apple has let me down, in public, with my client eyeing me curiously. I am incredulous.

Aug 1, 2014 1:24 PM in response to IndyDoug

It sounds like you previously used Pages '09.

It should still be in your Application/iWork folder.

Pages never was a complete clone of Word and you should not certify that iWork is a replacement for that.

Apple has stripped software of features without notice previously and is continuing on this path relentlessly, irregardless of its customers, so get used to it or switch.

Peter

Mail Merge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.