Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one sync Contacts from OS X to iOS directly?

I'm a long-time Snow Leapord fan who grudgingly downloaded Mavericks on an iMac. Now, iTunes 11 won't sync contacts with either an iPhone 5 or an iPad Air. This is so absurd that I assume iTunes 11 just wasn't ready for primetime, but in case Apple continues to maintain that internet access (iCloud) is required to copy contacts among devices, does anyone know a way to do this without iCloud?

The reason I bought an iPhone in the first place back in 2007 was because it would seamlessly sync my contacts between the computer and phone.

Thanks for any assistance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Snow Leopard Features are Missed!

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 5:25 PM

Despite Apple's poor track record in web services, they are definitely pushing everyone to iCloud. It started back in ML with Notes and continues to Mavericks with Contacts and Calendars. I made the fortuitous decision to migrate my Contacts and Calendars to iCloud about a week before installing Mavericks - I'd have been very annoyed to discover this new iCloud requirement after the fact.

I find this solution sub-optimal, but Macworld suggests installing Mavericks Server and activating the Contacts and Calendar syncing services as a work around to keep your data out of iCloud.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2061183/itunes-ios-syncing-gone-solve-it-with-se rver-.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 5:25 PM in response to ndawg

Despite Apple's poor track record in web services, they are definitely pushing everyone to iCloud. It started back in ML with Notes and continues to Mavericks with Contacts and Calendars. I made the fortuitous decision to migrate my Contacts and Calendars to iCloud about a week before installing Mavericks - I'd have been very annoyed to discover this new iCloud requirement after the fact.

I find this solution sub-optimal, but Macworld suggests installing Mavericks Server and activating the Contacts and Calendar syncing services as a work around to keep your data out of iCloud.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2061183/itunes-ios-syncing-gone-solve-it-with-se rver-.html

Nov 16, 2013 5:34 PM in response to azrael

Thanks for the info. The hilarity of needing to run OS X server to put some email addresses on an iPhone is rather stunning.

I agree Apple has been offering iCloud as an additional value, but they've never forced it as a replacement before. Everything else, from photos to music, can either use the 'hub' strategy or iCloud (or both). Hopefully this is a rather temporary lapse of judgment.

How does one sync Contacts from OS X to iOS directly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.