9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2013 9:22 AM by Meg The Dog
WilliamL Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

I have tried burning a HD DVD in DVDSP, but when I put it into a Samsung HD DVD player it won't play. I am burning using a DVD-R disk, DVDSP version 4.2.2.  Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz 8-core, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Radeon 5770
  • Meg The Dog Level 6 Level 6 (10,630 points)

You want an HD-DVD (the Toshiba format that is now extinct) or do you want a Blu-Ray disc?

Does your Samsung player play HD-DVD formatted discs, or does it play Blu-Ray?

MtD

• David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,825 points)

Are you sure the player is actually an HD DVD player?  Or is it a Blu-ray player?   The HD DVD format was abandoned by all manufacturers a few years ago - losing out to Blu-ray.   If it's a Blu-ray player you're using, it will play standard DVDs and Blu-ray discs, but not HD DVDs.

-DH

• Shane Ross Level 8 Level 8 (42,500 points)

Toshiba was the only company to make HD DVDs. I have one of those players (Wrong bandwagon!)

• WilliamL Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

I am using HD in the generic sense (1080p or in my case 720p).  I have exported my video from FCPX in 1280X720p format.  I used compressor with the HD setting (vs SD); and imported all assets into DVDSP with the preferences setting at HD (720p).  The Samsung player says that it will handle full HD (1080p).  Hope this helps.

• Studio X Level 7 Level 7 (27,015 points)

Your player will not play an HD-DVD - for which Toshiba was the only manufacturer to produce players.

DVDSP does not support what you want to do, If you want to play HD content you need to create a Blu-Ray disc.

Try posting in the FCX and/or Compressor 4 forums.

Best,

x

Since the Blu-Ray discs I make do not require menus - they just play on insertion and repeat until ejected - I export my sequence from FCP7 without conversion, then use Roxio Toast Titanium to burn the Blu-Ray. If the sequence is short, say under 30 minutes, you can actually burn the Blu-Ray on regular DVD media, which saves some money.

But you will need a Blu-Ray capable burner in either case.

MtD

Message was edited by: Meg The Dog to fix typo

• WilliamL Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

thanks.

• thesurreyfriends Level 3 Level 3 (555 points)

But you will need a Blu-Ray capable burner in either case.

Unless I have miss-understood.

If putting "Blu-Ray" onto  regular DVD media  (ie AVCHD) then this can be done with a DVD burner.

Good, I did not know that - all I have are Blu-Ray burners on my workstation.

Thanks

MtD