525 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2006 11:38 PM by William Gray1
Back up everything first (but you knew that, right?)
1. Copy all of your music files to the external.
2. Disconnect the external.
3. Open iTunes, select the Library. Select all. Take a deep breath. Delete key. Answer yes to deleting all files and moving to the trash. Your Library should be empty and blank.
4. Empty trash.
5. Connect and start the external.
6. Go to the "advanced" tab of iTunes preferences. There is a click box for "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library," unclick this. Click OK.
7. Go to the "file" menu >> Add to Library...
8. Click on the external drive in the resulting dialog box, find the music you copied earlier and choose it.
9. iTunes sets new pointers to the external, but doesn't copy your files back to your boot drive.