Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive

I have a 250 GB LaCie external hard drive to which I back up music, photos, etc. My G5 internal drive is filling up and I want to use the external drive to store my music, but still want to be able to access all of it with iTunes like I do now for the music on the internal drive.

How do I set it up to let iTunes play my music just off of the external drive?

Thanks.

G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jul 11, 2006 7:15 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2006 7:51 PM in response to Rickeye

Back up everything first (but you knew that, right?)

1. Copy all of your music files to the external.
2. Disconnect the external.
3. Open iTunes, select the Library. Select all. Take a deep breath. Delete key. Answer yes to deleting all files and moving to the trash. Your Library should be empty and blank.
4. Empty trash.
5. Connect and start the external.
6. Go to the "advanced" tab of iTunes preferences. There is a click box for "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library," unclick this. Click OK.
7. Go to the "file" menu >> Add to Library...
8. Click on the external drive in the resulting dialog box, find the music you copied earlier and choose it.
9. iTunes sets new pointers to the external, but doesn't copy your files back to your boot drive.

external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.