Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing firmware password, can't access boot options

Hi,

I own a Macbook Pro (13") which I bought from Ebay a few months ago. I recently changed my password to my administrator account, but I cannot remember it. I know of several bypasses to this, but as I attempt each one, they all seem blocked by a firmware password. I have tried contacting the original owner, but he does not remember what he set that as. I'm locked out of all boot options and my administrator account, I'm typing this now from the guest account which I enabled a while ago. Solutions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 8:30 PM

If your MacBook is one of the following models there is no way to circumvent a firmware password, outside of a trip to the Apple Store:

MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later, iMac (Mid 2011) and later, Mac mini (Mid 2011): Recovering a lost firmware password

Resolution

Only Apple retail stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock these computers protected by a firmware password.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 8:30 PM in response to Eigenvector

If your MacBook is one of the following models there is no way to circumvent a firmware password, outside of a trip to the Apple Store:

MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later, iMac (Mid 2011) and later, Mac mini (Mid 2011): Recovering a lost firmware password

Resolution

Only Apple retail stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock these computers protected by a firmware password.

Missing firmware password, can't access boot options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.