Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Magic Trackpad waking my Mac from sleep

I have a late-2012 Mac Mini with Fusion Drive running OS X 10.9 Mavericks. I've been using an Apple Bluetooth Pro Keyboard (the older model with the full alphanumeric keypad) and an Apple Magic Mouse with this Mac since I purchased it last year, with no problems. I got an Apple Magic Trackpad last week (which I like very much) and since I began using it, the Trackpad is waking my Mac from sleep within a minute or less after I put the Mac to sleep.

I can prevent this from happening by deselecting ALLOW BLUETOOTH DEVICES TO WAKE THIS COMPUTER in System Preferences->Bluetooth->Advanced, or by turning off the Trackpad before putting the Mac to sleep. Neither of these workarounds is ideal for me: It takes 10-20 seconds or longer for the Bluetooth devices to reconnect after waking the Mac from sleep if the system preference is deselected – long enough to sometimes allow the Mac to go back to sleep before I'm able to enter my account password – and I really would rather not spend extra time and button-presses turning the Trackpad on or off just to prepare to put my Mac to sleep or to wake it from sleep. I commonly put my Mac to sleep and wake it again 10 times or more per day, so this has begun to annoy the heck out of me.

To repeat: I was not experiencing this problem with my Bluetooth keyboard or mouse. Or any of the other Bluetooth devices I sometimes use with my Mac. It is the fault of the Trackpad only.

Is there any actual solution I might apply which will allow me to continue to tap the shift key on my Bluetooth keyboard to wake the Mac while preventing the Trackpad from waking the Mac by itself after I've put the Mac to sleep?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 16gb RAM, Fusion Drive

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 10:03 PM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2013 2:48 PM in response to John Hammer1

To follow up: I have noticed that when the Mini puts itself to sleep after the inactivity inteval specified in System Preferences->Energy Saver->Computer Sleep, it stays asleep; the Magic Trackpad does not wake up the Mac. If I put the computer to sleep manually, the Magic Trackpad does wake up the Mac.

When I turn off the Magic Trackpad I don't have this problem. The Magic Mouse and my other Bluetooth devices don't wake up the Mac from sleep unless I click them or otherwise use them purposely to wake up the computer.

Jul 13, 2014 1:48 PM in response to John Hammer1

I am experiencing nearly identical non-Sleep symptoms on 10.9.2 using a Apple Bluetooth (non-Pro) keyboard and Magic Trackpad connected to my MacPro1,1 with a Jabra A320 Bluetooth USB dongle. The keyboard and trackpad are new since I upgraded to 10.9.2 so I can't say if this problem exists outside of a Mavericks install.

The only difference in behavior for me is that auto-sleep after the inactivity interval is interrupted and the machine wakes up again.

The problem is definitely due to the Magic Trackpad, since powering if off or "disconnecting" it in the Bluetooth menu allows sleep to function normally.

User uploaded file

Interestingly, when the trackpad is "disconnected" and the machine is asleep, clicks (but not taps or gestures) on the trackpad will still wake the machine, and the clicked trackpad will immediately reconnect.. (Note from the menu that I have two trackpads - don't ask - and both trackpads must either be in the "disconnected" state or unpaired for the machine to sleep.)

When the machine wakes up again, either from a trackpad click or keyboard press, the disconnected trackpad is reconnected again automatically. If this Bluetooth disconnection could be scripted, this suggests there might be a workaround by running an Applescript when the machine is put to sleep.

Apple Magic Trackpad waking my Mac from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.