Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi plug-in for OS 10.8.5?

Since upgrading my iMac to 10.8.5, I am unable to play midi files because of Missing Plug-in. What do I need to do to restore midi files?

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:59 AM

I don't know that you can, short of downloading them & playing in Qucktime 7, or other suitable application

22 replies

Nov 17, 2013 11:19 AM in response to andyBall_uk

I did get an older (10.6.8) Quicktime 7.6.6 plugin to work in Mavericks, and it even played a .mid file after altering com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist to suit.

I don't recommend that, it being likely that some other feature will break as a result - but I do now wonder if a modified old one could be added instead of replacing, & set to only handle midi content. I'll have a (longer) play sometime.

Nov 17, 2013 12:19 PM in response to andyBall_uk

As you suggested, I downloaded QuickTime 7, then downloaded the midi files from the website to my computer and was able to open them that way.

I also tried Allow plug-ins>Manage Website Settings from Safari security preferences and selected "When visiting other websites: 'Allow Always' " for QuickTime but that didn't solve the problem.

I still am not able to get midi files to play directly from a website, but at least I do have this option. I'm researching tunes for a workshop I will teach, so your solution is one way that I can get to hear midis on a site, but it is cumbersome.

Thanks for your help!

Nov 26, 2013 4:29 AM in response to twomalamutes

On Mavericks, I seem to have the 7.6.6 plug-in working alongside the latest, and handling only midi files, both direct links & embedded. If the following makes little sense - then ignore it.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

It involved copying the 7.6.6 plugin to the user home/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder, then editing the name & a file inside it, then creating a new plist file in home/library/preferences to make it only handle midi content. Details later, if of interest, & you'll need a copy of the older plug-in, although it's possibly available from Apple in a Snow Leopard update.

Cumbersome too, but a one-time effort - although it's obviously unsupported & might cause problems that I haven't come across yet, additional to the security noted above.

Having said that, it's a simple drag/drop/restart Safari to remove it.

Nov 27, 2013 12:28 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks andyB. I am running SL & Mavs and welcome your amended plist data & edit of the plugin. My plugin is called '.plugin.plugin' 7.6.6?

I had been going to Mavs forsaking Eudora with Entourage (this copies Eudora stuff the best IMHO.) Also GoLive 8 to V9 & 'relearn-it,' but the embedded MIDI just disilusioned me so I went back to SL.

I believe there are many musicians selling MIDI via embedded 'listening' and this would help them no-end.

From my POV I now am torn between staying as a 'Fanboi' of Mac or going Hackintosh. Since OS 6 I have gladly accepted all Apple OS improvements but modifying plist files seems attractive in doing this as one not only gets lower costs but also Geekbench scores some *5 higher than staying with the platform that appears to be rationalising to iOS, perhaps. A good Commercial move at the expense of those of us supporting Apple for decades?

Of course, just IMHO.

Nov 28, 2013 10:04 AM in response to cruttis

This works for me on 10.8.5 and 10.9 - although I haven't tested exhaustively & of course it's possible that there may be problems. It's easy to revert - just quit any browsers & remove the plug-in file added below. It's all within the User folder, no admin access required.

I copied a QuickTime Plugin.plugin from Snow Leopard to the Home/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder & renamed it QuickTime Plugin2.plugin.

Ctrl-click on that 'new' file & choose 'show package contents'... open the 'Contents' folder & edit the file 'info.plist' (Textedit works, but the file must not be saved as rich text).

Change the keys : CFBundleName, CFBundleIdentifier and WebPluginMIMETypesFilename - adding '2' after 'plugin' in each case. Save the file.

You then need to create a new file in Home/Library/Preferences named 'com.apple.quicktime.plugin2.preferences.plist'

I copied one from 10.6.8, then removed every mimetype except those for audio/mid & midi, which left the file looking like this : (hopefully this site won't mangle the formatting).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>WebPluginLocalizationName</key>

<string>en_US</string>

<key>WebPluginMIMETypeFilteringVersion</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>WebPluginMIMETypes</key>

<dict>

<key>audio/mid</key>

<dict>

<key>WebPluginExtensions</key>

<array>

<string>mid</string>

<string>midi</string>

<string>smf</string>

<string>kar</string>

</array>

<key>WebPluginTypeDescription</key>

<string>MIDI</string>

<key>WebPluginTypeEnabled</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>audio/midi</key>

<dict>

<key>WebPluginExtensions</key>

<array>

<string>mid</string>

<string>midi</string>

<string>smf</string>

<string>kar</string>

</array>

<key>WebPluginTypeDescription</key>

<string>MIDI</string>

<key>WebPluginTypeEnabled</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

After saving the plist file, & restarting Safari - I have two Quicktime plug-ins shown in Safari - Help - Installed Plug-ins...

User uploaded file

Opening a .mid file directly in the browser gives a warning & blocks it by default... choosing 'trust' plays the file as expected.

User uploaded file

Visiting sites with embedded midi gives a similar per-site warning & choice...

User uploaded file

choose Trust, & it loads & plays, just as on Snow Leopard...

User uploaded file

anything other than mid/midi uses the newer plug-in - as shown below

User uploaded file

Nov 28, 2013 8:58 PM in response to andyBall_uk

BEAUTY!

Yes, andyB it works! I think this is VERY important for MIDI users and there are threads herein that should be linked to your solution.

If you goto SafariSecurity Prefs with an open website with MIDI by selecting Manage Website Settings you can turn-off the prompt and allow any Website MIDI to play. Apparently this is naughty as considered 'dangerous'.

I'm in Mavs now and only Rosetta needs a fix like your MIDI fix. After all Rosetta is only 2MB so a plist / a few kexts to detect PPC code, route to Rosetta and collect the output would fix things? 🙂😎😍😁

Will try other Browsers.

andyBall_uk FIXED IT!

Jan 1, 2014 1:55 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Or, to put it in executable form instead of human instructions...

After you get a copy of the old QuickTime Plug-In, you can save this script into a file and execute that file in the Terminal app.

#!/bin/zsh old='QuickTime Plugin.plugin' new='QuickTime Plugin2.plugin' installFolder=~'/Library/Internet Plug-Ins' prefsFile=~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.quicktime-MIDI-FIX.plugin.preferences.plist main() { renamePlugin patchRenamedPlugin createPrefsFile installPlugin check } renamePlugin() { mv $old $new } patchRenamedPlugin() { sed -i .bak s,\.plugin,-MIDI-FIX.plugin, $new/Contents/Info.plist } installPlugin() { rm -rf $installFolder/$new mv $new $installFolder } check() { ls -ld $installFolder/$new \ $prefsFile } createPrefsFile() { sed << XXX 's,^.*~,,' > $prefsFile ~<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> ~<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> ~<plist version="1.0"> ~<dict> ~ <key>WebPluginLocalizationName</key> ~ <string>en_US</string> ~ <key>WebPluginMIMETypeFilteringVersion</key> ~ <integer>1</integer> ~ <key>WebPluginMIMETypes</key> ~ <dict> ~ <key>audio/mid</key> ~ <dict> ~ <key>WebPluginExtensions</key> ~ <array> ~ <string>mid</string> ~ <string>midi</string> ~ <string>smf</string> ~ <string>kar</string> ~ </array> ~ <key>WebPluginTypeDescription</key> ~ <string>MIDI</string> ~ <key>WebPluginTypeEnabled</key> ~ <true/> ~ </dict> ~ <key>audio/midi</key> ~ <dict> ~ <key>WebPluginExtensions</key> ~ <array> ~ <string>mid</string> ~ <string>midi</string> ~ <string>smf</string> ~ <string>kar</string> ~ </array> ~ <key>WebPluginTypeDescription</key> ~ <string>MIDI</string> ~ <key>WebPluginTypeEnabled</key> ~ <true/> ~ </dict> ~ </dict> ~</dict> ~</plist> XXX } #------------------------------------------------------------------------------- main

Jan 2, 2014 4:00 PM in response to daveyostcom

Dave,

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to write this up and post it. Any chance you could give a little more detail, like 1) how to save your script as a file? and 2) how to execute the script from within Terminal? I am an absolute programming/unix neophyte, so things that are obvious to a more experienced user are not to me.

I cut your script and pasted it into TextEdit and tried saving as an RTF and txt file. I named the file "Restoremidi". I tried changing the extension of the file to .sh. Anyway, I feel like I am almost there, however, I do not have the expertise to successfully execute the file.

I think I am pretty close because it seemed to find the file and tried to execute the script and returned the ff. in Terminal:

Tim-iMac-2:~/desktop] tpb% sh /Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt

/Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt: line 9: : command not found

/Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt: line 10: : command not found

/Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt: line 11: : command not found

/Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt: line 12: : command not found

/Users/tpb/Desktop/Midirestore.txt: line 13: : command not found

Thanks for your help!

Midi plug-in for OS 10.8.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.