Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP Upgrade

ok my post got removed because apple said it was speculative. i have no idea what that was about so i'll rephrase my question:

so i am very new to the apple/mac ecosystem and final cut pro. current version is fcpx so i am assuming it is fcp 10. from previous versions, did y'all like buy everytime a new fcp comes out? like if you had fcp 7, did you buy fcp 8, fcp 9, fcp 10 separately to upgrade your current fcp version? or was it a free upgrade from like fcp 9 to fcp 10? thanks 🙂

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 6:24 AM

to repeat a part of my answer:

all 9 updates in the last two years, from vers. FCPX.0 to actual FCPX.9 were free.

From FC/p7 there was no upgrade optional - totally diff. program (same name).

No FC/p v.8/9 existed ...

3 replies

Nov 17, 2013 6:57 AM in response to av_l_nch3

av_l_nch3 wrote:

… i'm guessing fcp7 is also discontinued since fcpx is the only one in the apple website.

this is correct - the whole FinalcutPro7-suite of apps (+DVDSP, +Soundtrack) is obsolete.

… except Compressor, which is avail in AppStore.

There were some major upgrades in the past, which carry-on the name of an app, but were completely re-built from scratch, such as iMovie, Logic - and FinalCut.

… the number-scheme therefor could be a bit confusing… 😉

e.g. there was iMovieHD6, no 7, but iMovie08 - which internally had the version number 7… -

… engineers vs. marketing 😁😁

a rule of thumb is/was so far:

updates (vers 5.8 to 5.9) are free

upgrades (vers 5.9. to 6.0) are paid ...

FCP Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.