Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express Base Station A1084 as extension to wireless network using Airport Extreme w/ Mavericks

I have read the other threads regarding the workaround of this problem for Lion users but when I try to install AirPort Utility 5.6 on my machine running Mavericks it says that the version of Mac OS X on the volume is not supported.

So, does this leave me with a useless AirPort Express? 😕

AirPort Express Base Station A1084-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 6:43 AM

14 replies

Nov 17, 2013 6:49 AM in response to moorechez

You really have two issues here.

The first is that AirPort Utility in Mavericks will not support the older version of the AirPort Express that you have. If you have another Mac there running the Leopard or Snow Leopard operating system, or a PC, you can use that computer to make some adjustments to the A1084 Express.

The second issue is that even if you are able to adjust some settings on the A1084 Express, this older version of the Express does not have a setting to "Extend a wireless network", so it cannot be used for that purpose with your AirPort Extreme if you want the Express to extend using wireless.

Nov 26, 2013 5:32 AM in response to james br

You are being fooled.

Click on your AirPort Express, and then click the Manual Setup option. Then click the Wireless tab below the row of icons and click the Wireless Mode setting.

No option to "extend a wireless network" will appear here if you have an AirPort Express A1084.

IF....you had an A1264 or A1392 version of the Express, you would see a setting for "Extend a wireless network" when you perform this check in AirPort Utility.

Nov 26, 2013 6:08 AM in response to james br

Please post a screenshot of the settings that you see when you open AirPort Utility, click Manual Setup, click the Wireless tab below the icons, and then check the available settings for the Wireless Mode setting.

You will see no setting here to "Extend a wireless network"

You are being fooled. I can give you yet another check to prove that your A1084 is not extending, if you have a Mac laptop. But, prepare to be disappointed.

AirPort Express Base Station A1084 as extension to wireless network using Airport Extreme w/ Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.