Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get an 802.11ac Airport Extreme to use wide channels?

How do you get a new 802.11ac Airport Extreme to use 80 MHz wide channels on the 5 GHz band?

Mine stays at 20 MHz, thus restricting my max rate to 217 Mbps rather than the expected 1300 Mbps.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 8:44 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2013 10:53 AM in response to dbeneditz

With a bit more tinkering I think I found the "problem". While setting up the new 802.11ac Airport, I let the setup software copy the configuration from the 5th Gen Airport that it was replacing. As a result, it configured itself to only use 20MHz channels for the 5 GHz network.

I reset the Airport to the default setup, with no other Airport to copy, it let me set all the config options maunally, and now uses 80 MHz wide channels for the 5 GHz network - giving me a max rate of 1300 Mbps.

The lesson here is - don't let the setup software copy an existing configuration if you want to take advantage of the new features. Seems like a bug in the setup software to me.

How do you get an 802.11ac Airport Extreme to use wide channels?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.