Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s Distorted Warped photos

I purchased the iPhone 5s mainly because of the better camera. Have been happy so far but reviewing photos on the computer I've notices some problems. On numerous photos to the left and right of the image its warped or curved significantly. Look at the kids photo the children to the sides have warped heads.

Any ideas or suggestions please help its hard to believe the phones camera is defective but maybe. Thank youUser uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 9:03 AM

24 replies

Nov 19, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Cableguyx2002

I too have experienced this same issue. I took it to the apple store to have it looked at and they pretty much acted like I was crazy and wrote it off to the "wider angle" of the lense and the two extra elements the 5s supposedly has. This May or may not be true but just from my experience so far. I do not think the camera on this phone is quite right. I was always so impressed with the photos my iphone 4 took but so far my 5 s pics have been less impressive. If you find a fix please let me know because I do believe you are correct on this. Something is amiss with this camera here...?

Dec 23, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Papiali

I talked to the geniuses at Apple and demonstrated just by using the live view and he saw what I was seeing. We tried a test phone on display and it does the same thing. He didn't know what to do he blamed it on software and thinks that with the next update it will be fixed.

I hardly use the camera now on this phone because I was worry about if the pictures are going to come out okay. Very very disappointed I should've kept my 4s.

Jan 2, 2014 12:21 PM in response to RichmondDan

The distortion is obviously from the software as it changes depending on focal length. I think the distortion correction in the software is ill matched. The distortion is worse (in my experience) when taking portrait oriented photos as it makes people look long. When held horizontally, the distortion is less aggressive, or only noticable on the edges. The distortion is worse on my 5S than it was on my 4S.

Jan 2, 2014 2:44 PM in response to johnfinn68

I do think you may be correct with your assessment. In my experience the photos I've noticed that were bad were vertical ( portrait) I hope Apple is aware of the issue and can provide a fix soon. I used to love my iPhone 4's pictures. They were SO much better than this phone "supposed" better camera. I love my new 5s but the photos so far have not been spectacular and the others were often spectacular for a phone.

Jan 17, 2014 7:05 PM in response to Cableguyx2002

I take it none of you folks have ever used a SLR camera with interchangeable lenses. What you're seeing is the distortion that comes with a wide angle lens. You can make it disappear by zooming in...the more you zoom, the less the distortion. Most people really appreciate being able to take a close up picture and get a lot in the picture, which is what the wide angle provides. Because you can zoom, you can fix the issue yourself, if it is a problem.

Jan 17, 2014 9:23 PM in response to RichmondDan

That's rather assumptive, bordering on degrading. Where's that dislike button when you need it? Anyway, I've had an SLR since the 70s, and have worked for Saatchie & Saatchie in the early 90s as a photographer. So I would take it that I know my way around a camera lens or two. I still say that the distortion compensation is off. It shouldn't be this bad, as the previous iPhones didn't have the same problem to this degree. It's a lot of camera jammed into a 1/4", but I would expect that it would be tuned better for users most common shooting situations.

Feb 2, 2014 12:49 AM in response to Cableguyx2002

I am contending with the same problem. Playing back pictures to the family on the Apple TV it was very clear the difference between my wife's 4s and my 5s pictures. Building lines are off, people at the edges of pictures look grotesque and alien like. Far from Apple's promise of rendering their best camera yet.

Has anyone received resolution to this problem through the Genius Bar?

I expect Apple to address this expeditiously and retroactively to render a software fix to all my pictures in the iCloud.

iPhone 5s Distorted Warped photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.