Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro boots to 'mac os x utilities' and disk utility can't repair the disk

Hi

My macbook pro froze a few hours ago so I powered off with the button. When I rebooted it came straight to the mac os x utilities screen. When I held option the screen remained grey. When I tried to repair disk it said it could not repair.

I do have a back up but I'm not great on computers and I'm very scared that I'm gonna lose photos etc.

Shall I just choose the 'restore from time machine backup' option? Or is there something else I should do?

Any help would be appreciated ASAP

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 9:18 AM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2013 9:27 AM in response to zmarie91

Hi z,

If Disk Utility cannot repair the disk, then you need a stronger utility (if the directory is at fault) or a new HD (if the hardware itself is dying/dead) before restoring. Note that utilities usually cost more than HDs. You can try restoring from TM, but given the message you got, it shouldn't work.

Macbook pro boots to 'mac os x utilities' and disk utility can't repair the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.