Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did the latest Apple TV cause my HBO and Netflix to stop streaming?

I updated Apple TV (v2) today to the latest system software version and now I am experiencing severe video buffering problems. A speedtest check confirms the wifi signal is not to blame (~20mb download speeds).

In fact our other TV, using same Apple TV which has *not* been updated to the latest patch, is not experiencing this problem. That tells me this is a bug with the update. The TV stops to buffer every 2-10 seconds.

TV is unwatchable now. it is affecting Netflix, iTunes Movie Previews, HBO GO.

Help.

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 11:25 AM

14 replies

Nov 17, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Adunne2013

I'm having this problem too, but just with Netflix. It seems specific to Netflix on the apple TV. I even was able to stream an HD movie in full quality on my computer the same time a movie was running on the apple tv, but was looking like crap. Netflix customer support has been no help. I don't know who is responsible for the Netflix app? Apple or netflix?

Nov 17, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Adunne2013

I have a similar problem. After running the update on appleTV, Netflix suddenly started spinning most of the time. I was able to open the main screen and the screen for what I wanted to watch, but then it wouldn't play. I ended up using airplay to watch from my iPad, so it could not have been my internet connection. The problem can not be from the Netflix end because Netflix played fine on other devices. Things worked great on everything but the apple tv.

I don't think that it is just the Netflix app. AppleTV seemed to even have trouble pulling up iTunes movie.

Nov 17, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Adunne2013

I am also having this problem. In addition to Netflix, DisneyJr and Hulu are also buffering every 5-10 seconds. It is getting rather annoying to be watching something and have it pause... play... pause.... play and it never catches up.. it continuously does it throughout whatever you are watching to the very end!! It was working perfectly fine before the update!! As you all stated its not the internet connection.. my computer and roku boxes are working just fine!! 😢 Just when I was starting to enjoy the apple tv now i feel i need to move my roku box into the living room! Please fix it or let me know what to do ASAP!!

Nov 26, 2013 3:17 AM in response to Adunne2013

I've noticed some improvement in the netflix app. It does eventually get back to HD quality, though it often takes a few minutes at the beginning of the movie of it being quite blurry and obvious low quality before it kicks back up. I am not getting "super HD" quality anymore though. That is for sure.

It wasn't an issue before for me. But now hbo go has been dropping in quality as well.

This is a real problem. But I've not heard of any real solutions.

Dec 2, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Guillaume (Use De Dalmas

The low quality Netlflix streaming is a problem a large amount of AppleTV users are having right now - maybe everyone who's updated to the latest software - who knows.

Everybody has to complain (in a friendly way!) to Apple and Neflix. Call their tech support hotlines, submit a bug report for the Apple TV through Apple's feedback page. A lot of people with this problem will not complain, because they either are not tech savvy or think this is somehow normal and will fix itself over time.

Everyone who's curious enough to read this thread - please do contact both companies. Many users already have. The more complaints they are getting the more seriously they're going to take this obvious bug.

Dec 2, 2013 8:38 PM in response to NorthAmericanApple

NorthAmericanApple wrote:

Likewise, our Apple TV started having "loading like" issues after updating it December 1 2013. Does the Apple people actually read these posts? How does one actually report problems to Apple or Netflix?

Netflix: https://contactus.netflix.com/Help - they have live chat and phone support

Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57 - if your device is still under warranty

or send a bug report to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Why did the latest Apple TV cause my HBO and Netflix to stop streaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.