Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal won't accept Google Calendar password

can't sync with my Google calendars anymore.

I have deleted the calendar accounts on my Mac.

Set up the 2-stpe passwords on Google.

Tried to create new accounts in iCal with my email address (is not a gmail account) and app specific password:

- used Automatic Account setup: get a "Server With Secure Communication Unavailable" error message

- used Google account type: it finds my account - asks me again right away for the password. I enter it. It creates the account but gives me the error icon and wants my password over and over without syncing.

- used CaDAV account type: I enter User Name, app specific password and for server address: google.com

again, it finds my account and wants passwword right away.

I have also tried to use for a server address the calendar URL (https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/example.user@gmail.com/userexample.user@gmail.com/user) - no go.

I have quit iCal after various account setups and reopeen - always the same problem:

Alert icon next to the calendar account and when I click on it, it wants me to enter the password. I do and nothing happens - no syncing.

When I go to Delegates of the created account, I get an error message saying: Sever did not recognize your user name or passwword....

I only use the app specific password. I do have a different user name than my email address - but I have tried to use both at different times - no go.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, OSX 10.8.5, iCal 6.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 1:12 PM

12 replies

Nov 18, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Astriker

nope, still not recognizing my user name or password.

If it's any helpful, I have noticed that the account details in iCal show my full name as the user name, whereas in Google I use a different handle (so not show my full name). When I enter that handle as my user name in iCal it takes it, but when I go back in it displays my full name as the user name again.

But overall it seems to find my account - so that's not the issue.

It's more like once it does find it, it checks username and password again and reports back a wrong username/password combo.

But I have checked it over and over again - the log in is correct.

Apr 3, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Thomas Schaller

I've been having this problem and have found a fix that 100% worked for me. Every time I tried to add a Google calendar under the 'Accounts' settings I got the dreaded 'secure connection could not be established' message.

I follwed the fix here and now everything syncs perfectly as it should:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5641818?answerId=25372277022#25372277022

Apr 18, 2015 3:37 PM in response to robdberlin

I haven't tried your fix yet, but I was having the same problem with iCal and now I have it with everything. Google wants to link with OS X for a number of apps - fine - I enter my password - still fine - then there's another window: will you accept x,y, z? I click 'accept' and I get 'Google authentication failed'. I have changed my password three time just to make sure I am using the correct password, but no.

I do wonder if the problem is gmail - the password window opens with my gmail address (which I never use) filled in. I change it to my real email address and the password is fine until it gets to the 'accept' thing. Just appeared in notifications again: Enter you pssword for [my username] in Internet Accounts. I just can't be bothered to try again.

iCal won't accept Google Calendar password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.