Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder & software becomes unresponsive (Crash?) multiple times a day...

It happens out of nowhere about 2-3 times a day. Basically everything slows down to a halt. The only way to stop it is to restart the computer by holding down the power button. Not sure why this is happening since I usually don't have anything running other than a browser. Super frustrating.

It's a Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion. It's a work computer with a locked firmware, so I can't do any diagnostics on startup.

Any help from a pro would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 2:30 PM

1 reply

Nov 19, 2013 2:35 AM in response to housemeiserB

That sounds really annoying. I am no great expert but I think there are quite a lot of possible causes. There is a lengthy thread at:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4147113?start=45&tstart=0

that will probably give you lots of ideas for things to check, e.g.

- do you have any USB devices plugged in at the time?

- some people have had success changing the Finder default preference to open their Home folder rather than "All my files", etc.

See the thread above for more ideas. Hope you can get it sorted. If it's a work computer, perhaps you can ask work for IT support?

Ivan

Finder & software becomes unresponsive (Crash?) multiple times a day...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.