Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver won't come on. Mavericks

My screensaver will not turn on? Tired setting the time from 5 minutes to 2 minutes. I want to say it hasn't worked since the Mavericks update. Any help will be appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 2:28 PM

21 replies

Nov 18, 2013 1:10 PM in response to TheNerdGuy

@thenerdguy........I changed the hot corner to activate the screensaver (where you move the mouse to that corner and the screensaver turns on instantly) that part worked. The I shut that off and just went back to the regular screensaver and all the computer did was go to "sleep" instead of the screensaver coming on. I'm not sure what u mean by "force the computer to go to sleep"

Nov 18, 2013 1:29 PM in response to Pumagolf2014

Try deleting the com.apple.screensaver.plist.

You need to look in your user Library/Preferences for the .plist. Either hold down the option key while using the Finder Go To Folder command and select your user Library in your home folder or use the Finder Go To Folder command and enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist(s) to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your User library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library

You might want to bookmark the command. I have to use it again after every update. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Nov 19, 2013 9:24 AM in response to Pumagolf2014

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.

User uploaded file

Select Preferences/. Move the .plist to your desktop.

User uploaded file

Log out/in and test to see if the screen saver works. If it does, delete the.plist from your desktop.

If it doesn't, put the .plist back, overwriting the new one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 19, 2013 4:54 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much for the help Eric. I ended up going to the Apple Store and of course, the screensaver worked in the store. I had bought a magic mouse a few days ago and im thinking thats what is causing the screensaver from not going on. The sensitivty of the mouse is what is the problem. Im working on making it better. Thank you again for all of your help.

Jan 9, 2014 9:08 PM in response to Eric Root

I have the same problem as pumagolf, except (and I feel so much like a dunce saying this) I can't even find the library on my Macbook Pro Retina. I've searched through every folder I can think of. I know I've worked with it on my old Macbook, but just can't seem to locate it here. Are there any other potential solutions to the "no screensaver" problem? My Macbook also just goes to sleep, without showing the screen saver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Screensaver won't come on. Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.