Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks screen sharing is slow

I control a headless Mac Mini in my house from an iMac using Screen Sharing. Both machines now run Mavericks. Screen sharing continues to work, but I am getting delays in keyboard/mouse control when scaling is turned on. If I turn scaling off, things get much better except that I can't see the whole screen at once.

I also have a MacBook pro that I sometimes also control from the iMac using Screen Sharing. It does not have any problems atl all, although I note that I don't have to use scaling with this machine because its display is smaller than my iMac's.

I'm not having the connection problems that some are having because these connections are all local and I don't have the firewall enabled.

Seems like the Screen Sharing in Mavericks ought to work at least as well as that in Mountain Lion, which worked very well after some initial problems that were eventually worked out by Apple.

I wonder whether there might be a way to tweak Screen Sharing on the server to back off on the quality a bit in order to improve control.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 3:06 PM

24 replies

Dec 3, 2013 4:39 PM in response to Richard Conner

I have similar a "performance" issue when connecting from my Mac Pro (Lion) to my Mac Mini (Mavericks). I can move the mouse on my Mac Pro and watch it take about 15-20 secs to move (catch up) on the Mac Mini.

My Mac Mini has an attached Apple Display. (I had problems long ago trying to run the Mac Mini headless-- has this really been fixed?) When I turn off scaling, the screen in screen sharing goes solid black).

I don't have any such issues between my Mac Pro and a Macbook (Snow Leopard) in either direction.

Dec 31, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Richard Conner

I have this same issue with a Mavericks Mac mini (2013) model. I used my Mac Mini with a headless display and remoted in from a 2012 Macbook Retina with Mavericks (all with the latest updates, utilizing Back to Mac through iCloud). The screen resolution on the mini seemed to be locked at a low resolution (800x600?) and then the mouse cursor would take 30-60 seconds before it became remotely usable.

Remedy that I have used so far is plugged in a monitor that I leave turned off. After the monitor is recognized by the Mac Mini, the resolution improves to match the monitor's resolution and the mouse is immediately responsive remotely. I am not sure why this is, but I would like to leave my Mac mini headless for security reasons and keep prying eyes from seeing what is on my screen. Never had any issues before upgrading everything to Mavericks as Mountain Lion worked headless with no problems.

Let me know if any one figures out why or if Apple finds a resolution as this appears to be a change from Mountain Lion to Mavericks.

Feb 22, 2014 9:01 PM in response to Richard Conner

I have a Mac Mini 2009 which is connected to a TV via HDMI. I use a MacBook Pro to share the Mac Mini's screen. I also experience serious lag when scrolling on the Mac Mini via the MacBook trackpad. It doesn't matter whether the display is set to scale or not. Both computers are running Mavericks, but it's been this way since 10.7 or 10.8. It worked without this issue on 10.6. It's frustrating. I don't have room to connect a monitor to the mac mini. Any other suggestions?

Feb 23, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Richard Conner

My setup is just like Kate13's except that I am using a MacBook Air to share the screen of my Mac Mini 2009. I have the same problem. There's a crazy lag that makes simple things take minutes.

In my case too, it doesn't matter whether I have it set to scale. It's really annoying. Recently, I have been using an app on my iPhone to control the Mac Mini but that's not as convenient as sharing the screen with my MacBook Air.

Feb 26, 2014 10:44 AM in response to rlr208

I'm having the same problem, screen sharing an ethernet-connected Mac Pro via my MacBook Pro, both have OS X 10.9.1 on them and it's so freaking insanely frustrating that it's unusuable. I hope a patch or something will be pushed out. It's seriously bad. The mouse cursor just randomly stops moving for 10 seconds, every few minutes! Scaling, no scaling, any resolution, Full quality or Adaptive quality - nothing seems to do the trick. 😟

Mar 4, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Richard Conner

Hi

today i used a Snow Leopard (10.6.8) client to connect to an Maverick server.

Result:

CPU usage on the server : Client : Server : UI feeling

40% : Maverick : Maverick : awfull slow

3% : Snow Leo : Maverick : Ok quite good

The connection took quite long. I assume it is a protokoll issue.

I will now start looking how the protocol conversation can be tweaked.

Any ideas ?

Yours

add on 5 Minutes later :-)

Just changed the setting from high quality to adjusted quality and the speed came also back to a Maverick to Maverick connection. Here the CPU usage of screensharind went down to max 10% (window movement) and 3% (idle).

Mmh looks like that this was at least my issue.

Mar 6, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Kate13

I will also send feedback to Apple, I have 2 Mac Minis (same vintage 2011) one running 10.6.8 and one running 10.9.2. You would think that the Mavericks machine would be as good or better than the one running Snow Leapard, but it's not.

I am talking strictly using screen sharing from a Macbook Pro running Lion, when I screen share with the Snow Leapard macine it is perfect as if it were the MBP itself. When I screen share wtih the Mavericks machine it is useable but very laggy and slow to refresh consistantly.

I have tried all the tricks I can find in multiple forums but still have poor performace out of the Mavericks Mac.

I think there is definatly some issue with Mavericks and unfortunatly we are at the mercy of Apple resolving it.😟

Mavericks screen sharing is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.