Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XCode 5.0.2 hangs running iOS simulator

Having issues running iOS with even a basic empty application. I'm using

Xcode 5.0.2

OSX 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion"

2010 MacBook Air 3.2

I'm just trying to run the basic "Start developing iOS Apps" tutorial. When creating a new Empty project and run it, the IOS simulator take 5-10 minutes just to show the empty white screen. All this time the task of the app Xcode seems to be hung. When "Stop" is clicked nothing happens. If I try to exit Xcode in this state, if pops up a warning that exiting Xcode will stop running tasks, then it Xcode just hangs after I click to proceed. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 4:41 PM

12 replies

Nov 18, 2013 8:07 PM in response to flmz

Same thing here with

xcode 5.0.2

macbook pro, 8.2 identity (late 2011), 4GB running mavericks OS X 10.9, which was installed first, then xcode 5.0.2.

As flmz says, basic app of "Start developing iOS Apps" (just create and run an Empty App) was used in the following test cases:

1. build against iOS 7 simulator of xcode 5.0.2 - get black screen, no app in simulator. It is indeterminate whether the app will actually run after 10-15 min as flmz notes. As flmz notes, one cannot stop the app from xcode using Product-Stop or the Stop button. Further, resetting or even quitting the simulator does not callback to xcode, which still shows "running app" in its status bar. xcode is hung (not responding in activity monitor) and only a forced kill will end the xcode process to continue development. Trying to restart the app or close the project pops the modal stating that xcode must stop tasks first, clicking the stop button on the modal does nothing (xcode is hung)

2. download and install the 6.1 simulator into xcode 5.0.2. Retry the above test case by building the simple empty app to iOS 6.1. Here, app runs and simulator is responsive for testing, but the same failure to stop the app as above is seen. Only a forced quit of xcode resumes development. The dev cycle has become: 1. launch xcode 5.0.2 and dev. 2. test on 6.1 simulator. 3. force kill xcode process and relaunch to continue to dev. Not good.

Am I missing something, or is this a really 101 test case for shipping a couple of majors (OS X and xcode)? Anyone have a work around? Vertical scaling required? Thanks.

flmz wrote:

Having issues running iOS with even a basic empty application. I'm using

Xcode 5.0.2

OSX 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion"

2010 MacBook Air 3.2

I'm just trying to run the basic "Start developing iOS Apps" tutorial. When creating a new Empty project and run it, the IOS simulator take 5-10 minutes just to show the empty white screen. All this time the task of the app Xcode seems to be hung. When "Stop" is clicked nothing happens. If I try to exit Xcode in this state, if pops up a warning that exiting Xcode will stop running tasks, then it Xcode just hangs after I click to proceed. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Nov 18, 2013 8:56 PM in response to hardenburg

Same behaviour for the test app on xcode 4.6.3 on mavericks OS X 10.9. Uninstalled xcode 5.0.2 and installed 4.6.3 from .dmg. Can test on 6.1 simulator but cannot stop the app from xcode. xcode says "running app" even with simulator reset or close (quit simulator). Cannot clean/built/restart app by stopping the app in the pop up as it just hangs. Trying to quit the xcode 4.6.3 process leads to pop-up to stop the running app, which does nothing. Must force quit the xcode process to continue.

Dec 23, 2013 7:45 AM in response to -Chad-

After days of trying I finally resolved this issue...

Months ago I had edited my etc/hosts file and changed the localhost value to my actual (fixed) IP address to fix another issue with something completely different...

10.0.1.17 localhost

Changing it back to the default fixed the xcode issue...

127.0.0.1 localhost

Now XCode can attach to my simulator.

XCode 5.0.2 hangs running iOS simulator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.