Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook Store Red Badge?

I've noticed a red badge appearing at the top left of my iBooks app next to the link to access the iBook Store and wondered what it signified. Clicking on the Store link takes me to a window where I can browse the store, and one of the buttons at the bottom labeled Purchases has this same red badge. When I click on the button, I expected to see my iBook Store purchases, but the window never populates, so I'm confused. I was guessing clicking on this button would show me my prior purchases, and the badge was just identifying downloads the store thinks I have awaiting. But with nothing populating the window I've nothing to check out.

Does anyone know how this purchases button is supposed to work, and what the red badge indicates?

Thanks for listening...

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 4:17 PM

11 replies

Nov 18, 2013 8:42 PM in response to Dave Marsh

Seems as though I have same situation. I recently updated iBooks to 3.2. All was normal for a couple of days, until a red badge appeared, associated with the Store purchases. But I've made no recent iBooks purchase, nor is there any activity or issue with my past purchases.

I investigated, but couldn't determine what the badge referred to, nor how to remove it. I went to Settings, toggled the iBooks "Show Purchases" button on+off; then quit the app; finally reset the iPhone. Badge still appeared.

Oddly, after finishing a book and deleting it from the library, the annoying red badge disappeared. But only temporarily, then it popped back up for no reason.

Must be a bug. Can anybody advise a solution for removing the badge?

Dec 2, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Dave Marsh

Red badge indicates how many updates are available for books you purchased.

I have the same problem on my iphone5. I go to store (from iBooks), touch "PURCHASED" and nothing happen.

On my ipad 2, when I click on PURCHASED in ibook store, I get the list of all books I purchased.

I still can not see from there what books need updating. Since they all have little cloud next to them and no indication if they need updating.

I found (accidentally) that if (in store) you go to "Featured" and in a search box type name of the one of the authors of the book you purchased in a past, you will get list of available books by that author and among those you will see book you purchased with word "downloaded", or little cloud symbol or word "update". As far as I could find it's the only way to see which books have available updates.

Just imagine I had to enter each author name whose books I purchased, scroll thought the list of theirs books, find my books and see if I need to update them ...

I hope Apple will fix both issues:

1. Purchased list when called from iBook store is not getting populated on some devices.

2. Find easier way to show which books need updating.

Nov 21, 2014 10:47 PM in response to iuser01

Actually, this is how I expected it to act. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case. Just this week I had a red badge identifying two presumed updates. I went to Purchased, scrolled down the list, actually found one marked Update, but no others. So, I went to the top of the list and started re-downloading the books with identified iCloud downloads identified as available (even though those books were already downloaded in my library). After a couple of downloads, I noticed the remaining red badge had finally cleared, so I stopped.

So, this issue remains open for me. I do agree your input is how I expected it to work, and that may be Apple's intent, but it's not working that way yet.

iBook Store Red Badge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.