Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.Attempt to update apps and it asks for my ID, give my ID and it States "Update unavailable with this apple ID. The update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different use or the item was refunded or cancelled".

Attempted to update apps and it asks for my ID. Give my ID and it states "update unavailable with this apple ID. The update is not available for this apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled, which neither is true. How do I change this?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:36 AM

All apps (and other content) from the store are tied to the account that downloaded them - those apps bought with another account (you don't have more thatn one account) ? If they were then only that account will be able to download updates to those apps.

If they were bought via the account that you are currently logged in with then try tapping on your id at the bottom of the Featured tab in the App Store app and log out of it and then log back in and see if you can then download their updates.

Message was edited by: King_Penguin

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 12:36 AM in response to Delleen

All apps (and other content) from the store are tied to the account that downloaded them - those apps bought with another account (you don't have more thatn one account) ? If they were then only that account will be able to download updates to those apps.

If they were bought via the account that you are currently logged in with then try tapping on your id at the bottom of the Featured tab in the App Store app and log out of it and then log back in and see if you can then download their updates.

Message was edited by: King_Penguin

Dec 15, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Delleen

I figured out a fix for this that might work for you too, and it doesn't involve calling Apple. I used the following steps for iPhoto (iLife apps seem to have this problem for people).

1. Open iPhoto
  2. Open App Store
  3. Search for iPhoto in the App Store
  4. Click the title of the app to bring you to the app's page
  5. Click Update
  6. It will prompt you to close the app, click continue
  7. It will close the app, then start updating the app

Hopefully this works for you. If so, let me know.

Dec 26, 2013 1:40 PM in response to Delleen

Did you originally install from a DVD? If so, the app store has no record of iPhoto associated to your Apple ID. I had the same issue. I had to call Tech Support (1-800-263-3394) and finally got to iPhoto support. After providing the part number from the original iLife DVD - where iPhoto was originally insalled from - I was given a code that was redeemed in the Mac App Store and the iPhoto updated! Hope this helps.

Dec 30, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Delleen

I'm having the same issue. I tried the iPhoto fix mentioned above and all I got was a window that said "There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (4)"

Has anyone else found a fix?

When I right click on the apps in question, they were purchased by the same Apple ID that I am using to update. The apps do not appear in my purchased history either.

May 8, 2014 6:33 AM in response to ilikecorn500

This finally worked!! Thank you for posting this. I've been annoyed for weeks with the update prompts. It actually was a little different for me. I opened iphoto and checked for updates. I was prompted to close iphoto but the update window was already open so I entered my id and it actually worked. The main idea was to open iphot and update from there. THANK YOU!!!!

.Attempt to update apps and it asks for my ID, give my ID and it States "Update unavailable with this apple ID. The update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different use or the item was refunded or cancelled".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.