Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any ideas on how to reset sync services on OSX Mavericks?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627 holds no answers. The reset script sited for Mountain Lion doesn't exist for Mavericks.

15" Macbook Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:19 PM

From

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5847

OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks v10.9 and later do not use SyncServices. Instead, Mavericks supports sharing your information using several network-based and cloud-based solutions. If you want to sync your information across multiple devices and computers, you should use one or more of these methods. These include iCloud, CardDAV servers, CalDAV servers, and servers that utilize the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Pete

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2013 10:19 PM in response to GabrielHay

From

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5847

OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks v10.9 and later do not use SyncServices. Instead, Mavericks supports sharing your information using several network-based and cloud-based solutions. If you want to sync your information across multiple devices and computers, you should use one or more of these methods. These include iCloud, CardDAV servers, CalDAV servers, and servers that utilize the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Pete

Jan 12, 2014 7:12 PM in response to GabrielHay

I'm curious: Exactly how did the referenced post "solve" your question?

Your question was "Any ideas how to reset sync services in Mavericks?"

It seems the referenced page doesn't tell you how to do so. It explains that SyncServices isn't used by Mavericks, but doesn't explain how one solves sync problems in Mavericks. Certainly the referenced post was helpful, but if in fact you did find a solution to your problem, we'd greatly appreciate your sharing that, as well. 🙂

Jan 12, 2014 7:38 PM in response to Syncopator

Syncopator wrote:

I'm curious: Exactly how did the referenced post "solve" your question?

Your question was "Any ideas how to reset sync services in Mavericks?"

It seems the referenced page doesn't tell you how to do so. It explains that SyncServices isn't used by Mavericks,

Correct. So how do you use something that doesn't work any longer? You can't. Question answered.

If you wish for options, search the forum for them. But options was not the question.

Cheers

Jan 12, 2014 7:51 PM in response to petermac87

petermac87 wrote:

Correct. So how do you use something that doesn't work any longer? You can't. Question answered.

If you wish for options, search the forum for them. But options was not the question.

Cheers

No, the question was not answered.

Clearly, something needed to be reset. The fact that the original question misidentified SyncServices as that item doesn't negate the question. If SyncServices is no longer the proper item to be reset, then something else must be reset. But no alternate was provided.

While the referenced document helpfully explained that SyncServices is no longer the correct item, it does not explain what the correct item is.

As such, after having read the referenced document, if one was having a sync problem in Mavericks, one will find he's absolutely no closer to having solved that problem.

Therefore, the question was not answered. 🙂

Many thanks for the snarky and unhelpful reply.

Jan 12, 2014 9:08 PM in response to GabrielHay

GabrielHay here...

I wanted to reset sync services so that I could make my local Mac calendars sync across the wire - like they did before. Pete did the the service of pointing out that I was chasing up a blind alley and that SyncServices was no longer supported. So I muttered a curse at Apple and used one of the solutions Pete suggested (syncing through iCloud) and my problem went away. Ergo, Pete solved my problem. Thankyou Pete.

There is of course a broader issue here, in that I don't particularly like being pressured by circumstances to use someone else's server to host my personal calendar data. Like most Apple customers I don't have time or bandwidth to set up my own server. I'm sure Apple would have realised this when they chose to switch off support for SyncServices, and known that in so doing they would be pressuring most of their clients to take the easy option and use iCloud, thereby giving themselves a bigger database of client data to mine.

Mr Snowden has done an excellent job of showing how much faith we can place in the privacy of data hosted by US corporations. But frankly I didn't/don't have time to argue the toss and in any event this is not the forum for such discussions.

Jan 13, 2014 1:20 AM in response to GabrielHay

Thanks, GabrielHay. That's much clearer, now.

I already use iCloud, and I'm looking for the iCloud equivalent of SyncServices (or something other than the suggestions I've found, so far, that will reset iCloud sync). That's what it seemed you were looking for: a way to reset sync in Mavericks, as opposed to a way to sync in Maverics. (Essentially.)

So again, thanks.

That said, there's no evidence that Apple has ever "mined" clients' data or would even care to. You're free, of course, to not like the idea of syncing via Apple's servers. But to suggest that Apple "chose to switch off SyncCervices" in order to "give themselves a bigger database of client data to mine" is simply unfounded.

I'm always amused at the notion that despite Apple having hundreds of millions of customers, a given individual is somehow convinced that Apple would care about his data.

Apple doesn't care about your calendar. Or your contacts. Seriously.

Think of the many thousands of celebrities and dignitaries who use Apple products. If Apple were paying any attention to their data, let alone doing anything with it, the revolt and backlash would be legendary. I personally know many people who have the contact info for hundreds of celebrities and such in their Apple Contacts and Calendar apps, and not one breach has ever, ever occurred.

Consider the unfortunate security breach that Target sustained, last week. It's been all over the news, every single day, for nearly a week. If Apple were doing anything of the sort, no one would stand for it. No one! Apple has far too much to lose to do something stupid like that. And to what end? So they can see where a user's having dinner? Or what time his staff meeting is? Even a celebrity's calendar is pointless. What good would it do Apple to know that Charlize Theron's having lunch with Ewan McGregor. None.

You seem like an intelligent guy. If you think through what you're proposing, you'll realize Apple would stand to gain nothing by doing what you suspect -- and in fact would stand to lose everything.

Thanks again for the clarification. And best of luck!

Any ideas on how to reset sync services on OSX Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.