Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the maximum frame rate (fps) supported by iMovie?

I tried to import 720p videos at 120fps and 480p at 240 fps (all filmed with gopro). iMovie doesn't seem to handle these videos because after import its shows a kind of blue icon instead of the video. Is there a maximum frame rate that iMovie can handle? I know about Cineform studio and all that, i just want to skip that extra process of converting into 30 fps before importing into iMovie... I have the updated new iMovie.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 1:30 AM

I'd recommend installing Cineform, as even if you don't use their (excellent) software, it installs the GoPro / cineform codec which will enable you to edit GoPro footage.

I understand (but can't find confirmation) that iMovie now works up to 120 fps. Cineform works for certain up to 240 fps.

Using 240 fps footage without pre-rendering may lose frames in iMovie. Haven't tried yet myself.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 1:30 AM in response to vallyville

I'd recommend installing Cineform, as even if you don't use their (excellent) software, it installs the GoPro / cineform codec which will enable you to edit GoPro footage.

I understand (but can't find confirmation) that iMovie now works up to 120 fps. Cineform works for certain up to 240 fps.

Using 240 fps footage without pre-rendering may lose frames in iMovie. Haven't tried yet myself.

Nov 21, 2013 10:55 AM in response to tgbl

I have installed Cineform, I have used it as well, I just wasn't sure if i really had to go through the process of converting all my videos to 30 fps before importing to iMovie. iMovie used to work without Cineform conversion with 120fps WVGA videos back when I had my GoPro 2, but does not seem to handle 120fps 720p with my new GoPro 3+ (unless I did something wrong, but I don't think so...).

Guess I won't take chances anymore and just convert all my videos just to be sure...

One last thing, I converted a 120fps 720p into a 30fps 720p... After importing in iMovie, it plays back at normal speed and shows a kind of round symbol in the top left corner of my clip. I thought i had lost much of the frames of the video, BUT NO, I could slow it down to 25% and was still very fluid! Which tells me that iMovie HAD imported all the 120fps, but detected that the video had been slowed down, so it accelerated the playback speed so that it played normally. Here is my question: what the **** is that round symbol and do videos converted with Cineform tell iMovie the right speed at which they should play?!

I have like 1000000 question right now, but i'd be happy if only one of them could be answered! No manual on Apple's website explain that kind of stuff and I couldn't find anything on youtube either 😟

What is the maximum frame rate (fps) supported by iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.