Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent ios7 from freezing every few seconds?

I have an iphone 4 and naivily installed ios7 thinking it was going to be the problem to slow-performing ios6.

Version 7.02 worked reasonably well. However, after updating to 7.03 a few weeks ago, my iphone become almost unusable.

Every few seconds (~10-20s), the iphone freezes/stalls for a few seconds (4-5) and then comes normally back to life.

During these freezes, all sound stop (podcast, music, or youtube), images freeze (videos) and touchscreen is unresponsive (e.g. cannot scroll or click in any application). After resuming a freeze, all operation come back to normal.

What is annoying is the frequency of this freezes, which makes listening to music/podcasts or browsing the internet or even looking at your emails a horrible experience.

Often, a complete reboot will do the trick. I am doing this now 5-6 times a day, which is frustrating. But very often, even after a reboot a with no application open, the iphone still freezes.

I tried taking out 'background updates', or automatic appstore updates, or anything that would ask too much of the processor but nothing changes.

Yesterday, by chance, I discovered that this that not happen when the wifi is off. So, now I am having to start a podcast, wait until most of it is downloaded, and, then switch wifi off to listen to it. Very archaic. Also, I cannot normally surf or do anything else that requires being online...

I still cannot understant how apple releases such a faulty OS.

Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Has anyone seen a similar behaviour??

thanks for any help/advice!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 11:25 PM

2 replies

Nov 18, 2013 12:12 AM in response to marcnol

Try to set it up as new device, without using the latest backup afterwards, it might contain corrupt data or settings.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

If your phone is working as expected after that, try to restore from the latest backup. If your problem comes back, your backup is not usable anymore and you'll have to start all over again from the scratch.

Jan 21, 2014 3:09 PM in response to marcnol

I am having the exact same problem. I downloaded ios 7 the first time and my battery would get hit enough to literally burn my hand, so I called Apple and they told me to do a full factory restore using iTunes's on my desktop, which I did, though I had to use a friends computer because I run Linux on my PC, and it pretty much fixed the battery issue, although it does still randomly heat up the way it used once or twice a week maybe, but it started this freezing every few seconds for a few seconds. It is frustrating enough to consider the phone useless. My phone is only a few months old. When I purchased it before the release of ios 7 and if performed as expected, now it is useless because I followed the advice of Apple in downloading their latest software. I have Ubuntu on my PC and it is not easy for me to just keep doing complete restores multiple times to maybe or maybe not fix the issue. I wish that Apple would change their policy with AT&T, and allow customers to deal directly with AT&T for repairs/replacement. There is no Apple store in my town. I have already had to send my phone back to apple for repair before the release of ios 7, they sent me several refurbished phones with missing headphone jacks. Each time I sent a phone back I had to find and use an old att phone, get a different sim activated, twice, once for the temp phone and again when the new iPhone came. Luckily though by the 3rd replacement I was smart enough to check before I activated a new sim. Eventually Apple did send me a brand new iPhone 4 factory sealed which worked perfect up until I downloaded ios 7. I am so done with this mess. I have a life outside of dealing with Apple care and mailing and receiving iPhones. At this point I am sort of embarrassed to even request another replacement/repair, but at the same time I know this is not of my doing what so ever and it is not right that I am still dealing with this. I emailed senior apple advisor Lienna Bererra about my concerns, she was the advisor who oversaw my issues with refurbished iPhonezzz, I refuse to go through the motions another time, and I don't have what it takes to get all irate on the phone just to make my point. I should be able to swap my phone for an android phone at a local att location.

How do I prevent ios7 from freezing every few seconds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.