Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Windows 8.1 on Haswell Mac?

Just bought the 15" Haswell Macbook Pro Retina and I'm trying to install Windows 8.1. I'm relatively new to Mac so the instructions that I found didn't really make sense to me and seemed like they were skipping steps. My school gave me the downloadable Windows 8.1 for Mac Version that says it has to be used with an external USB. Here's the steps I've followed leading up to my problem in the best way I can explain them.

1. Downloaded this file: English_windows_8_1_professional_upgrade_w64

2. Plugged in 8gb flash drive

3. Started boot camp assistant

4. Clicked 'Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk'

5. Chose this for ISO img: /Users/.../Documents/English_windows_8_1_professional_upgrade_w64/English_windo ws_8_1_professional_upgrade_w64.img

6. Says it's formatting drive

7. Prompted with this: Your bootable USB drive could not be created

Any insight on what's going on? I have a feeling it's because it's an upgrade? But what does that have to do with the USB drive? I've used 3 different flash drives and get the same message every time.

Also, I did do all the updates on the computer immediately upon opening it. Talked to some tech people and they said the update made it so that you don't need windows 7 first? I don't know...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 3:15 AM

After 3 hours I've successfully installed windows 8.1. Everything seems to be working fine but I'm too tired to try running any programs on it yet. I basically ran into most of the problems that I read about on the forums. Here's what I did since running into the problem listed.

One thing to take note of that I noticed a lot of people did because I've seen it in some install guides was to use two separate USB drives. One for the drive files and one for the ISO. I DID NOT follow those directions. I noticed many people had some sort of blank screen if they did or something like that so I'm assuming what I did bypassed that problem. So put everything on one USB. Mine was an 8gb toshiba nothing special.

8. After getting that prompt I logged out (making sure to uncheck the option to open any applications back up)

9. Logged in and restarted boot camp.

10. Let the program do it's thing clicking continue etc along the way.

11. As the computer restarts hold the Option key.

12. Now here's where things messed up for me again. I went to the windows boot and continued through putting in the key etc. when asked to choose which partition all of them were GPT servers. Honestly I have no idea what that means. I tried formatting as the option was highlighted but still didn't work.

13. Restart the computer, again holding the option key. This time load the EFI drive.

14. Resolution was different and everything was tiny but it's all the same thing that was just done before. When prompted for the partition I chose 4* or bootcamp and then everything installed successfully.

That's all I can think of so far instructions wise and hopefully this works for others who haven't found any solutions! I'm not super techy just did a lot of trial and error and determination.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 3:15 AM in response to nicci92

After 3 hours I've successfully installed windows 8.1. Everything seems to be working fine but I'm too tired to try running any programs on it yet. I basically ran into most of the problems that I read about on the forums. Here's what I did since running into the problem listed.

One thing to take note of that I noticed a lot of people did because I've seen it in some install guides was to use two separate USB drives. One for the drive files and one for the ISO. I DID NOT follow those directions. I noticed many people had some sort of blank screen if they did or something like that so I'm assuming what I did bypassed that problem. So put everything on one USB. Mine was an 8gb toshiba nothing special.

8. After getting that prompt I logged out (making sure to uncheck the option to open any applications back up)

9. Logged in and restarted boot camp.

10. Let the program do it's thing clicking continue etc along the way.

11. As the computer restarts hold the Option key.

12. Now here's where things messed up for me again. I went to the windows boot and continued through putting in the key etc. when asked to choose which partition all of them were GPT servers. Honestly I have no idea what that means. I tried formatting as the option was highlighted but still didn't work.

13. Restart the computer, again holding the option key. This time load the EFI drive.

14. Resolution was different and everything was tiny but it's all the same thing that was just done before. When prompted for the partition I chose 4* or bootcamp and then everything installed successfully.

That's all I can think of so far instructions wise and hopefully this works for others who haven't found any solutions! I'm not super techy just did a lot of trial and error and determination.

How to install Windows 8.1 on Haswell Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.