Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After creating a document in Pages 5.0 it won't open

I have installed the latest OS Maverick 10.9 and the latest Pages 5.0. If I type a new document using 5.0 and try to open it later it tells me. "You need a newer version of Pages to open this document. The only way to view the document is to drag the document to the Pages 5.0 icon in my dock and then it will open correctly. I still have the older version of Pages 4.3 because some of my older documents would not open without it. Could that be the problem because I have both versions in the dock?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:08 AM

7 replies

Nov 18, 2013 3:16 AM in response to lourober

Having both version on your Mac or icons for them in your Dock is not the problem. The document you created with the new version will only open in the newer version.

The File association for the Pages file extension is still pointing to the older version. If you right click on a document that was created with the newer version and select "Open With" you should get a choice to open it with both the older version and the newer version. Select the newer version of Pages.

Nov 19, 2013 7:32 AM in response to lourober

As previously stated, I have the identical problem lourober mentioned Nov 18 2013. I previously had docs created in Pages 4.3 within iWork 09. After upgrading to Pages version 5.0, the new icon appeared on the dock and when I clicked it, I was able to see all my previous docs. Double clicking on any of these docs opened OK and incorporated the changes included for version 5.0. I was able to close any doc and reopen without any further problem. I then created a new doc under version 5 and saved it. On trying to open it, message stated I needed a newer version of Pages to open it. I then right clicked doc and from pull down menu, selected Open with Pages Default App (5.0), but received same message. If instead I click Show package contents, 4 folders named Data, Index, Index2 and Metadata, plus 3 .jpeg files, namely preview micro, preview web and preview are shown. By clicking on the last preview.jpeg, my file opens and I can read it as a preview file. If I now click on the pull down menu above and select Get Info, a panel appears on the left of my screen showing the general information about my doc, confirming name of my doc xxx.pages, shows the new Pages icon and says open with Pages.app, and finally has myself named with custom access to read and write. Finally, I cleared the new icon from the dock and pulled down the new icon for Pages 5.0 in my applications folder to the dock. I then clicked it and tried to open my new file again, but received the same message as before,"You need newer version of Pages open it."

Nov 19, 2013 1:13 PM in response to lourober

I have deleted the offending document I created with the new pages version 5.0 and retyped it again as a new document using the latest pages version 5.0. This time, after saving the document, it opened without any problems and I tried this several times to see if it would corrupt, but it didn't, so everything is fine. I cannot understand why the original document did not open, but it is academic now. Put it done to an unknown glitch. All the best.

Jul 10, 2014 6:20 PM in response to lourober

I had the same issue. In the end the culprit was my backup syncing software - SugarSync. What happened is when it made a backup and pushed that out to my computers it found a duplicate. In doing so it appends "(computer 2)" to the file name. In this case it actually did that to the contents of the Pages file. If you open the Pages file in Windows, for example, it treats it as a ZIP file. Inside of it several items (e.g. plist files, etc) had "(computer 2)" appended to the file name. After I removed that the file opened perfectly in Pages 5 on my computer.

After creating a document in Pages 5.0 it won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.