Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing permissions on my internal drive

I have an internal drive that is damaged and would only mount sometimes. I am using and external drive to boot and access my MacBook

How can I change the permissions on it.

GetInfo I cannot add user, Verify disk permissions is greyed out and I have tried resetpassword on boot but when I try to reset password on the damaged drive it just keeps processing for a couple of hours and nothing happens.

Is there any other possibility.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 2:17 AM

9 replies

Nov 18, 2013 3:40 AM in response to LowLuster

I wanted to create a clone of the damaged drive but needed to get rid of like 200GB before i do it.

I am actually forced to make a clone to access the mail account folder that is not showing if the drive is mounted normally.

Ok, I have searched more disucssions and found a way to show the hidden files, I can see the library folder but its greyed out and I cannot open it.

Nov 18, 2013 3:42 AM in response to slyshooter

If you clone the damaged drive it will just carry all the damaged files over with it, if you can clone it at all.

I suggest you stop using your Mac, take the bottom off and remove that damaged drive. The longer you have the system turned on with that drive installed the worse that drive is going to become. That is if the failure is hardware based (Electronics or motor problems).

Then once you have a working drive back in the system with OS X installed on it connect that failed drive and ssee if you can copy your personal data off it.

Since you are now booting the system from an external just copy that data to the external you now have connected.

Cloning, IMHO, is not what you should be trying to do.

Nov 18, 2013 4:50 AM in response to slyshooter

Doesn't matter if it mounts or not. Can you actually access it and make any changes to it or even copy any files from it?

To change permissions roght click on the drive/folder/file you want to make the changes to and select Get Info. A window will open and at the bottom will be the area where you set permissions. You have to click the Lock icon and type in your password to make any changes to that area/permissions.

Changing permissions on my internal drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.