Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Column widths in finder keep resizing to useless mode

Hello

I upgraded to Macericks and I notice that Apple still hasn't dealt with the frustrating column view.

Using the alt(option) drag solution resizes all columnns but you have to do it every time you select a file. What I mean by this is that each time a select a file or click over to a new column the columns resize and make all the file names unreadable. eg. "My nice folder name" become "My n..me".

I use Xtra Finder but it is not working at the moment with Mavericks.

Does anyone know a way to set the columns at a specific width and keep them that way in new finder windows?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 4:21 AM

16 replies

Mar 21, 2015 11:17 PM in response to Jon Crystal

Doesn't work for me (iMac, Yosemite 10.10.2). I spend a huge portion of work time constantly readjusting the column width, only for it to snap back to that useless scrunched-up mode mere seconds later.

Look at all the complaints online, going back YEARS. This major bug still persists with every "upgrade." Yet when I spoke to Apple techs on the phone, they acted as if it was a strange, unheard-of phenomenon.

Mar 7, 2016 9:23 AM in response to iJemz

OK .. I was trying these methods, when I stumbled on to this fix.

1. Open finder window ..focus is vertical bar within red oval.

User uploaded file

2. position cursor over bar, cursor changes to " | -> " (with arrow pointing right over said bar)

User uploaded file

3. push option key down and hold down, then you double click {left mouse button} over on the bar where cursor is hovering. ( do NOT drag anything )

4. You should see column automatically expand the the width of the widest character width in that column.

5. Release option key. (done)

Close finder window and re-open to see new column size width remembered . Hope this works for you.

User uploaded file

Mark,

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) OSX El Capitan 10.11.3

Keep it simple, yet significant ~ Don Draper

Column widths in finder keep resizing to useless mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.