Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7 Extreme Eye Strain for "Older" People- Any Advice?

Hello- I'm a very very very long time Apple supporter (started with and Apple II+). Thus, I am in my 40s.

Upgraded to iOS 7 right when it was released. I really wish I hadn't done that. It really really hurts my eyes. All my 'older' friends are all complaining about the same. We use our phones a lot less because of it. Its exceptionally hard to read. Here is what we've found:

- Fonts way too light

- Too much white space resulting in an interface that is very very bright and hurts our eyes

- Too hard to read when outside

- Way too bright at night

- Text is too small

All this combined really hurts us 'old dude's' eyes. I mean it really really strains them.

We've all tried the following:

- Playing with brightness (up and down depending on conditions)

- Changing font to bold within accessibility

- Turning off the whizzy annimations

Any other advice to make it easier on the eyes? Is there any way AT ALL to go back to iOS 6? Sort of feel like Apple is controlling me a little too much by not allowing backwards movement in the OS. My phone is very hard to use these days and unfortunately, me and my buds are starting to look outside Apple products for the first time ever. Very very discouraging. I'm hoping they fix this.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iMac, MacPro, Mac 128, Newton, Apple II+, Atari 2600

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 5:33 AM

4 replies

Nov 18, 2013 6:04 AM in response to mr.bill

😕 40's is old now? I'm in my 50's and been wearing glasses since I was 12 or 13 (I wear progressive multifocels with strong astigmatism correction nowadays).

I have the Larger Type setting enabled, Bold Text, Increase Contrast and Reduce motion all on - with those all enabled I find iOS 7 no harder to work with on an iPhone 5 then iOS 6 was.

Outdoors however, has always been a big problem to my mind, not just with an iPhone but with any LED backlit LCD display device. These screens use a polarizing filter as part of their integral design, so in bright sunlight, they will always be quite dim and hard to read.

Nov 18, 2013 6:37 AM in response to mr.bill

Ha... No, 40s is not old, but Apple's target demographic is clearly people a bit younger (<30), I feel old compared to who I see on Apple's ads and who seem to be most active on all the forums (not just this one).

I'll continue to futz with the settings. Thanks for the tip re: contrast. This was not turned on, and I didn't see that before.

Thx.

IOS 7 Extreme Eye Strain for "Older" People- Any Advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.